Sunday, September 20, 2009

I'm Ready!

Lately whenever we are leaving the house, even if is just to run the simplest, quickest errand, Katelee can NOT leave until she has packed.  She runs into her room (which, by the way, is now clean again...we've kept it that way for two days and counting!) and throws random toys into her back pack and any other handy bag until it is stuffed full.  Then, she is ready to go!  I particularly love this picture below: her back pack is bursting with toys, her purse in hand is carrying all her favorite princesses, and she has no shoes on her feet.  But she's ready to go!

I've been thinking a lot about being ready, lately.  How do you get ready for the things life throws at you?  

I've always prided myself on being a planner and being ready for things I know are coming.  During our recent move, I thought I was being so organized and all-the-ball.  And then a few unexpected things happened on moving day that ruined the schedule.  When men from the ward showed up to load the van, and I was so embarrassed about how much was still left unpacked.  Other people had to help pack up boxes, and it really bothered me that I wasn't ready.

When we got out here to Colorado, I struggled more than I had expected for a couple of weeks. I had known I was moving here for months.  Shouldn't I have been ready for the change?

And what about the things you don't see coming?  I never expected to deal with infertility.  I expected to have a house full of little ones by now.  And what about my parents dealing with my dad's major illness?  He has been so sick, but he's still so young!  That was not in the plans.  

The conclusion I come to is that while lists and schedules and organization is good, these things can never really help you be completely ready.   Spiritual preparedness is really the answer.  Only a close and personal relationship with the Savior can help in the end.   Because if you have that, then you really can face anything with grace and confidence, even though life won't be perfect.  I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it.  I want to get to the point where I have such faith that I can say, Bring it on!  I can face any challenge this life can give me with the help of my Savior.  I'm ready.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! We've had our fair share of curve balls over the past few years, and during our last little crisis, I was amazed at how much of a difference it makes when I rely on the Lord. With his help, things were manageable. When I got distracted and leaned towards murmuring, etc., suddenly things were much scarier. Spiritual preparedness is definitely the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for that post - I love to catch up on your blog, in part because I love to see how your family is doing and in part because you are so honest about the things that you are feeling and going through. The other thing that I love to see is how the Lord really is watching over your family. You and Gerald are good people - I hope that things keep going well for you.

    By the way, that Lightning McQueen cake looks fabulous! Great work!! :)

    ReplyDelete