Thursday, July 15, 2010

Biggest Loser!

So, the big news in my life these days is that I'm eating much healthier and I'm losing weight. And I'm excited about it!

I joined a 'Biggest Loser' competition with some family members and friends. Basically we all paid 50 bucks to be in. We weighed in last week and we will weigh in again November 1. Whoever has lost the most weight (in % of total body weight lost) will be the biggest loser! $250 to the first place winner, $100 to the second, and $50 to the third.

I'm determined to win!
Or at least do my very best to be healthier.

I'm using the spark people website I told you about last December (click here) and loving it. I find it so useful!

I haven't had to make too many lifestyle changes or feel hungry at all; I'm just trying to make smarter choices.

And so far I've lost 5 lbs.

The #1 change I've made? I cut out breakfast cereal from my life.

I love love love cereal. As you know, it's one of my favorite foods. But even the extremely healthy brands that I always buy are loaded with too many calories and do not keep me full.

So I decided I no longer had room in my life for breakfast cereal. Sad!

But by cutting that out I have cut many calories a day from my daily diet and I actually stay full MUCH longer!

One of my biggest obstacles when it comes to weight loss tends to be coming up with substitute foods that are still easy and I still like to eat. So, I've spent a lot of time scouring cookbooks and websites for good ideas. And I have come up with three breakfasts that I really enjoy that are also healthy. I thought I'd share for anyone looking for a quick and healthy breakfast idea!

Breakfast #1: Fruit/Protein Smoothie

This recipe comes from my good friend Laurie. Gerald and I both LOVE this. I love the way I feel throughout my day when I've had it for breakfast. I love the way it tastes. I love how easy it is to make and how easy it is to drink while getting my routine morning things done. We have this for breakfast now probably 5 or 6 times a week.
  • 1 c. frozen blueberries
  • 1 banana
  • 1/3 c. fresh spinach leaves (I really just throw in a handful)
  • 1/4 c. plain low fat yogurt (Just a big scoop or so...)
  • 1/2 a scoop of Designer Whey All Natural French Vanilla protein powder
  • 1 T. ground flax seed
  • pomegranate juice - I buy the frozen concentrate pomegranate-blueberry and just scoop a large spoonful of the frozen concentrate right in.
Mix well in your blender or food processor. It will be thick, so add water until it's the consistency you want. This recipe is for TWO servings, so pour into two separate glasses and enjoy! Calorie count for one serving: only 184! Both Gerald and I agree that this keeps us full until lunch - something that cereal doesn't usually do. And it's so yummy!

Breakfast #2: Oatmeal

Another quick breakfast idea that I love is a bowl of oatmeal. This is also one of Katelee's favorite breakfasts lately. I buy the plain quick oats and prepare in the microwave with water according to the package directions. Then I eat:
  • 1 c. cooked oatmeal
  • 1 T. agave
  • 1/4 c. blueberries
Yummy. Filling. Easy. And only 218 calories.

Breakfast #3: Scrambled Eggs

I like eggs in the morning, too. One thing I've been doing is scrambling 1 egg white with 1 whole egg. I like the taste a bit better than only egg whites, but it's still healthier. I've also tried adding in veggies and a little cheese and thought it was yummy!
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/4 c. diced tomato
  • 1/8 c. diced green pepper
  • 1/4 c. diced mushrooms
  • 1/8 c. shredded mozzarella cheese, fat free
Scrambled and cook all together. Yum! If you serve this in a whole wheat tortilla, that would also be really yummy. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. :) Total calories, with the tortilla: 255.

So, PLEASE SHARE! Do you have any easy breakfast ideas that I could try. These three are good, but sometimes I just need more variety. You don't have to know how many calories they are or anything, but I would LOVE some more ideas!

5 comments:

  1. Good for you, Jennifer! It's amazing what a few "smarter choices" in our diet can do. My sis has been doing weight watchers this summer and i've been amazed at some of the foods which i love which are a really high number of points....some that you would never imagine! Keep it up, though! I hope that you win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That i awesome, I hope you win the $250 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go!!!! Now if I could just get Gus to drink the other half of my smoothie for me I'd be doing well with breakfast calories. ;)
    We are proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing! When I don't have time except to grab and go, I love the fiberone bars. They keep me full and they taste pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried it and it wasn't that bad! I had to buy a different kind of whey, and instead of yogurt i put in some milk. I may have to buy a new blender if I plan on keeping this up- it was randomly turning itself off while i made it this morning!!

    ReplyDelete