Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Funeral

I meant to post this sooner, but once the funeral was finally over I was physically and emotionally exhausted. But I want to record my memories of the day before I forget.

The funeral was truly wonderful. Since I was a teenager, my dad has told me several times that he wanted all his kids to speak at his funeral. "No way!" we'd tell him. But he got his way in the end. :) And, honestly, we were all honored to do it. My dad also loved to hear cousin Fen play the saw. (Yes, the saw. If you've never heard someone play the saw, you are invited to the next family funeral. It's amazingly, hauntingly, unforgettably beautiful.) We began talking about hymns and musical numbers. Over the last couple of years, every time anyone asked my dad how he was doing, he replied, "Wonderful." Even when he was so sick. So the opening hymn fell into place; my dad loved that song anyway. And "In the Hallow of Thy Hand" was sung at my dad's missionary farewell and at his father's funeral; my dad loved that song and often sang it around the house. So that became another obvious choice. And Uncle Brad. He's been sick, and he didn't know if he could get through a talk without coughing. But we all wanted him to speak so badly. We all prayed for him. He gave a beautiful tribute to my dad, and he did it without coughing at all.

The night before the funeral, at the viewing, so many people came that the line was down the church hallway and even out the door at one point. My dad was loved. The funeral looked like stake conference, chairs taken up all the way back to the stage. The sight of all those people there to remember and honor my dad is something I'll never forget; what a tribute to him.

Once everything was planned, I felt that it was exactly as it should be. If my dad had been here to plan, this is what he would have chosen. I can't shake the feeling that he was the one who did the planning in the end, anyway. And it was beautiful. I truly loved every second of it. I cried and laughed and enjoyed the celebration of my father's life. He was truly a great man.

PROGRAM

BRENT FENTON THURSTON

Son of Verland Leslie Thurston and Dorothy Dawn Frehner
Born April 2, 1958, Las Vegas, Nevada
Married Laurie Anne Daw, June 6, 1980, Idaho Falls, Idaho LDS Temple
Passed away January 13, 2011, Mesquite, Nevada

CHILDREN
Jennifer (Gerald) Reynolds
Melissa (J.D.) Frisby
Tyler (Taylor) Thurston
Brittany (Todd) Hartley

GRANDCHILDREN
Wyatt, Katelee, Madison

PALLBEARERS

Tyler Thurston, Gerald Reynolds, J.D. Frisby, Todd Hartley, Brad Thurston, Duane Thurston, Corey Daw, Val Klingler

HONORARY PALLBEARERS

Darren Hendersen, Jim McSpadden, Bob Morgan, John Rogers, Scott St. Clair, Alf Frehner, Bryce Frehner, Creed Frehner, Klint Frehner, Tracy Frehner, Dan Creel, Jeff Lee, Gary Neva, Darwin Swapp, Dennis VanBeveren, Boyd Wittwer

COMPASSIONATE SERVICE
The Mesquite 2nd Ward Relief Society

FUNERAL SERVICES
January 17, 2011

Conducting: Bishop Kurt Sawyer
Organist: Lynne Anderson
Chorister: Aleta Ruth

Family Prayer: J.D. Frisby, son-in-law

Opening Hymn: I Stand All Amazed, Hymn 193

Invocation: Todd Hartley, son-in-law

Life Sketch: Brittany Hartley, Melissa Frisby and Jennifer Reynolds, daughters

Musical Number: "Bring Him Home" from Les Miserables, performed on the saw by Fen Frehner, cousin, accompanied by Darla Fulk, friend

Speaker: Tyler Thurston, son

Musical Number: "In the Hollow of They Hand" sung by Gerald Reynolds, son-in-law, accompanied by Jennifer Reynolds, daughter

Speaker: Brad Thurston, brother

Closing Remarks: Bishop Kurt Sawyer

Closing Hymn: God Be With You Till We Meet Again, Hymn 152

Benediction: Val Klingler, father-in-law

INTERMENT MESQUITE CITY CEMETERY

Dedicatory Prayer: Duane Thurston, brother

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer, I'm so sorry about your Dad. I enjoyed reading your thoughts about him these past few posts. Thank you for sharing these tender thoughts.

    ReplyDelete