Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Name Remembered

My dad spent 11 days in the ICU before going home. While he was in there, downstairs in a small outer foyer, an artist was painting a new mural for the hospital. This is what it looked like when completely finished. Those of us going to visit dad would pass this mural every day.
One day my Grandma Thurston stopped to talk to the artist. Here is the story in her own words:

When we came through the foyer the artist was sitting back looking at his work.
I told Ken Harris the artist that my son was dying and I wish there was away to place his name on the wall. He jumped up and said that he had a small bit of paint that had not dried and that he would be happy to write it.
At first it was very obvious and I was afraid that the hospital staff my make him remove it so I wanted him to conceal it more so just the family could find it. He added leaves and color and now you do have to look for it. Laurie and her family all wept when they saw it.
Can you see his name?

Here is a sweet thank you note my grandma wrote to the artist:

Jan 18, 2011
Ken Harris,
My son Brent passed away and his funeral was yesterday. I wanted you to know what it meant to his family and loved ones that you placed his name on the hospital wall. When he was a child he was famous for writing his name on walls--much to my dismay. Today, I would love those moments to return. It will be comforting for our family to visit the hospital periodically. Thank You! Dorothy Thurston

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer.
    I am so sorry for the loss of your father.
    I get chills just looking at your pictures
    and reading the words from your blog.
    My family commented that the funeral was
    very spiritual-and one of the best they've
    ever been to.
    Thanks for sharing with me-even though
    it must be very hard to!
    I love you and your family so much.
    I'm sure it brings the gospel closer to
    heart, and a better appreciation and love
    for the savior!
    love, linz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad's passing. May you be able to feel peace in your soul. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete