Sunday, August 21, 2011

Kindergarten, So Far . . . and a Plea for Advice.

Katelee really enjoyed her first homework assignment for school this year. She was asked to create herself on a paper plate, using any materials she wanted. She had a great time choosing supplies for her face, and especially loved the buttons. I helped her glue the hair on, and tied the bows, but mostly she did this all on her own, and had a great time. My favorite part? The eyelashes. :) These were hanging in the hallway for back-to-school night, and it was fun to see all the faces hanging up!

The second part of the assignment was to answer a questionnaire the teacher sent home. Katelee wrote all her own answers and illustrated them as well. Here were her responses:

Favorite color: Pink, teal, purple (each written in their own color)
Favorite animal: Elephant (with a great illustration!)
Favorite food: Watermelon (again, she drew a beautiful watermelon slice next to her answer.)
Favorite sport: Swimming
Favorite season: Fall (She drew a few leaves and swirling wind.)
Favorite book: Junie B. Jones
Favorite vacation spot: The BEACH
Favorite hobby: drawing (with a few drawings next to the word to illustrate the point.)
I wish I could say that kindergarten was going perfectly smoothly and all was happiness around here. However, after the first couple of days of school, the excitement wore off and Katelee started asking to stay home. She cries daily and says she wants mommy and doesn't want to go to school anymore. It's horrible! I was happy taking her to school while she was loving it, but there is nothing worse than taking your child to school when they don't want to. This is literally the first experience of this kind I've ever had with Katelee. She LOVED going to nursery, to primary, to preschool . . . So I'm trying to figure out what is different this time around, because preschool was pretty much the same amount of time as kindergarten. I've decided there are a few factors. Her kindergarten teacher, while very nice and professional, doesn't have the same loving, hugging personality as her previous teacher did. Also, for the first time ever, Katelee doesn't know any of the other children in her class. (The only other child in her school from our ward is a 4th-grade girl.) I've been making an effort to help her make friends, and we had a play date last week with a new little girl from her class and plans to have more. In the meantime, I am just praying and hopefully teaching her skills to cope with her worry at school . . . and praying some more. If her feelings continue long enough, I won't hesitate to pull her out. I feel perfectly capable of teaching her at home. However, she is such a social bug, and I really don't think that is the best thing for her. I think she will adjust and be happy at school, and after Labor Day they let me come in the classroom and volunteer weekly (or more) and that will be helpful. Until then - I'd love ADVICE from all you moms who have been through this before!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't really had to deal with this yet, but I would call/email the teacher and make sure there isn't anything going on at school that Katelee hasn't told you. Maybe ask how she is while she's at school.

    After that I always turn to bribery. For each day she goes to school without crying give her a sticker and then take her out to do something fun. Or maybe make a game out of it, like tell her to see how many people she can count at school that are wearing flip flops, or have their ears pierced, and then ask her the number when she gets home. I'm just thinking out loud here, but if she's anything like Alexis she'll be excited to count that stuff and then forget halfway through the day because she's too busy having fun. Or maybe tell her how important it is for her to go and meet everyone in the class so that when you come in a few weeks she can help you learn everyone's names.

    I wish I had more advice for you, but you'll figure it out I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would guess she's feeling VERY insecure and stressed. I don't know what your routine is for bedtime, but sticking around after prayers/stories for 5-10 min just to talk might help. You might "tickle" her back or scratch her head as you talk. The closeness of this contact and the consistency of it may help her feel less alone and vulnerable. She may never say what exactly is bothering her and she may not know. But knowing that time is hers is invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the end you'll find what's right. I know you ponder about these kinds of things a lot.

    ReplyDelete