Friday, October 7, 2011

A Little of This, A Little of That

A little silliness

Katelee took my bucket of rhythm sticks, my cake pan, my earrings, a couple of leaves and a wood chip and created this guy. She is hilarious!

A little mess

I told Katelee she could roll the pie crust dough for me for a moment. I ran to answer the phone. Gerald walked in a minute later and found half the bucket of flour on the counter, Katelee and floor. Lovely.

A little dilemma

Katelee loves her awesome heart glasses. A while back, I sent her into her room to get dressed for school. She came out looking like this. She ate her breakfast, brushed her teeth, made her bed, did a little playing, got her hair done ... and never touched the glasses. In her mind, they were part of her outfit, not a toy. On the way to school, I debated how to handle this. Should I let her walk into school like this? I thought of my friend, Lisa, who is a master at letting her kids express themselves and be true to their own sense of style. But everything in me wanted to make her leave the glasses in the car. In the end, I didn't say a word. (This was really hard for me!) Katelee happily wore the glasses into school. Her teacher asked her to put them in her backpack during class, but she wore them throughout recess and again as soon as school ended. She was happy. She was confident. She felt stylish and independent. I guess it was worth a bit of embarrassment on my part. Though I still debate if I did the right thing. What would you have done? Luckily, the glasses haven't made another school-day appearance.
A little cousin

We enjoy getting to babysit baby Elijah every now and then. Katelee can't get enough of him! What a sweetie!!
A little bragging

We had parent-teacher conferences this past week, and Katelee's teacher told me that she had given Katelee the end-of-the-year reading test. Katelee passed with flying colors. Her teacher is going to begin assigning her first-grade-level reading material. What a smartie pants!

And finally, a little news

We have a couple who is considering us for adoption! We've met them and emailed a bit. When we went to dinner with them, we had a great time and really felt that we had a lot in common and that we formed a friendship. Our case worker called to say that they were serious enough about choosing us that he was going to pull our profile offline for awhile so no one else would choose us in the meantime. We were feeling pretty excited! And then...we haven't heard a thing from them all week. No response to our email, nothing. And we've noticed our profile is, in fact, still live. Not sure whether or not to get excited. IF (and we realize that this is a IF) things work out, the baby is due November 28. We may get our hearts completely broken. Or we might get a baby! But I feel the that the Lord has told me to embrace the experience and live with hope and faith. No matter what happens, we need to go through this for some reason. So, keep your fingers crossed and remember us in your prayers, and we'll keep everyone updated!

10 comments:

  1. I will be praying for you! I hope you do in fact get the baby, but if not, I know you'll handle it like you do every other challenge, perfectly. And there is a baby for you soon!

    Also, I'm proud of you for letting her wear the glasses! That's the good part about teachers, they do the mean job of telling them they can't wear them (at least for awhile), and because you did let her she didn't care to do it again. But maybe if you hadn't, she would have asked everyday to wear them, and that would have been annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    You are such a good mom. My boys wore capes everywhere. They eventually grew out of them. She looks darling in her glasses. I am sure she enjoyed the day of 'flair' that you gave her.
    Our family will certainly include you in our prayers. I know that putting everything in the Lord's hands takes so much faith. Be assured that the Lord knows where and who your next child is and will bring them to you. I know he did for us. Please let us know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will also remember you in my prayers and hope that your family will soon be doting on a little one.

    From a grandmother's perspective, wearing play glasses to school is not a big deal. (I wish I could have better perspective when my kids were little.) The teacher handled it just right and so did you. There was no disruption in class, and you have nothing to be embarrassed about. This was one of the little battles that was not worth fighting. Save that for the big battles.
    We had a little boy wear his spider man costume to nursery because he refused to take it off. His wise mother compromised and told him that he could wear it, but it had to be under his Sunday clothes and the mask had to stay at home. Parker was so proud to be "Peter Parker" that day, and has not worn it to nursery again in the past several months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you let her wear the glasses! She is such a cutie. Good luck with everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you guys!!!! We lOve you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, hooray!!! I hope that it works out. We will definitely be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I would have been in the same boat that you were with the glasses. Unfortunately, I don't know if I would have been patient enough to let her wear them. I know you will be blessed by the Lord for following the spirit in your adoption journey. We will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete