Sunday, August 15, 2010

School Days

I can't believe it, but my baby has
started school!

Okay, so it's only preschool, but it is 4 days a week for almost 3 hours a day.

The preschool she is attending is wonderful, and done through the school district. It can be a very expensive program to get into, but they offer free preschool to some families so I applied just to see what would happen. Katelee was accepted for free tuition, but when I found out how many hours a week it is I almost backed out. (What happened to 2 hours twice a week?!?)

At first I really felt that Katelee, at four-years-old, did not need to spend so many hours out of the home. I'm in no hurry to send her out of our home when I feel very capable of teaching her in an environment that I can control. But what I cannot easily offer is the social aspects of preschool.

So Gerald and I talked about it and prayed about it and finally decided to give it a try. Like it or not, this may be the best thing for Katelee.

And so far, she LOVES it!

If you know me at all, you know that back-to-school time is my very favorite time of year! I love fall, I love school, I love school supplies, and as a student or a teacher I always LOVED this time of year! So, I was so excited to share the 'back-to-school' experience with Katelee!

First, I took her on a 'date' and we went shopping for school clothes. This meant that she could pick out two new shirts and get a new pair of shoes. (Hooray for Kohl's cash and $10 off coupons!) She had fun trying on new clothes.
After shopping, I let her choose one place to go as part of our "date." She picked a new park, where we played hide-and-seek. When she hid underneath the slide, the static cling made her hair stand on end.
Before school, Katelee also got her hair trimmed from a lady in my stake. I tried to convince her to chop it short, but she was not interested in discussing it.
And she wanted me to paint her finger and toe nails.

The Sunday before school started, Gerald gave Katelee her first 'school year' father's blessing (with Uncle Geoff standing in) and it was a very sweet, sweet experience.

The day before school started, we went to an open house where we met Katelee's wonderful new teacher, Ms. Judy, and the kids were able to explore and play in the classroom while the parents were given all the needed info.
Katelee was so excited to wear her new blue dress to the open house! (Thanks, Jessica!)
She was literally dancing in excited anticipation of meeting her new teacher.
On her first day of school, Katelee insisted on wearing her new 'Hello Kitty' shirt despite the heat. She looked so cute, and was excited to finally use her new princess backpack!
While getting ready for her first day of school, I told Katelee that she looked beautiful. To which she replied,
"I've never felt so grown up!"
When I picked Katelee up after her first day of school, she was all smiles. She was excited to show me the snack 'place mat' she had decorated and tell me all about the play dough, puzzles, and playground. She loved story time, and told me all about the book they read which was about a dog who goes to school by following his boy's school bus. She loved meeting new friends and she loved her teacher.
Overall, she loves school, and I hope that she feels that way forever!

2 comments:

  1. Katelee's preschool sounds very much like the one Amanda attended -- and loved -- for the past couple of years. I'm glad Katelee enjoys it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww, that made me well up with tears. She looks soo big! Charlie called his father's blessing his "special blessing." Isn't it sweet to witness these things?
    I think you are such an amazing mom and I think that the 'date' that you two went on was so sweet. I really learn alot from your example.

    ReplyDelete