Monday, March 21, 2011

Family Home Evening

Family Home Evening is probably my favorite part of the week. Like all families, the quality of our family home evenings goes up and down. But one thing Gerald and I have always been pretty good at is keeping it consistent. Now if we could only learn to be consistent at other things . . .

As Katelee is growing up, she is getting involved more and more in the planning of FHE, which I love! We've begun using our family home evening board to assign who does what. Katelee is thrilled for any assignment she is given, but she is especially excited when she gets to teach the lesson!

My vision for when Katelee is assigned the lesson: Katelee sits down with me or Gerald and chooses a story from the Children's Friend or the flannel board scripture stories. She plans a lesson with our help and guidance.

Katelee's vision for when she is assigned the lesson: She does it all on her own - no help or input whatsoever from mom or dad!

So, Katelee won. I think she has taught three lessons now, completely 100% on her own with no input from us. And I am proud of her. She does a great job.

Last week it was Katelee's turn to teach the lesson.

"I am teaching about PROPHETS!" she proudly exclaimed.

Then she dragged the white board from her bedroom into the family room, found a blue marker, and began to teach.

"This," she stated, drawing a tall man, "is the prophet."

Then she drew a tree of life, an iron rod, and a "cloud where people can get lost" (the mist of darkness). She taught us all about Lehi and his vision, and together we related the iron rod to the word of prophets. It was a great lesson, and I am so impressed with Katelee and the many, many things she teaches me.


Now if only I could get her to clean her room as willingly . . .

Happy Family Night, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment