Sunday, May 6, 2012

Family


Every now in then in life, we find friends who become so close they change from feeling like good friends to becoming like family.

 In each stage of my life, I can think of friends who fit this description.  People who really shaped who I've become, and who I still have some form of contact with, no matter how many years have passed since we've lived near one another.

There is nothing better in life than when you find new 'family' in unexpected places or ways.

This happened to us again recently.

About six months ago, some new people came into our lives.  Our first impression was that these people could become amazing friends.  But we were wrong.  Over these past months, these people have become family

We love them.
We love being with them and spending time with them.
We feel comfortable in their home; it's just like visiting family.
They have been among our biggest supporters when it comes to raising Blake.
We both make efforts to get together and see each other as often as possible.

It may surprise you when I tell you who I'm talking about, but I hope it doesn't.
Have you guessed?
It's Blake's birth dad, birth mom, and her family.
I realize that open adoptions are a newer thing; something that wasn't really done in the past.  I used to be scared of the idea of an open adoption.  And I'm sure some open adoptions are still difficult.  But we have been blessed with the most absolutely ideal situation possible.

Occasionally we have someone express concern or worry that we are so close to Blake's birth family.  I guess I can understand that old ideas and traditions die hard.  But truly, knowing Blake's birth family is one of the greatest blessings of my life. 

I know without a doubt that Heavenly Father is pleased that we have opened our hearts to each other. 
Of course, it's undoubtedly the best thing for Blake.  This boy is growing up knowing he is so, SO loved.  He'll never have to wonder why or if his birth parents didn't want him.  He'll know they love him.


But this isn't only a blessing to Blake. They have gone to great lengths to love and embrace Katelee, and she adores Auri, Jake, and Auri's family.  And as I've already said, they have been a huge blessing in all our lives.

We get together as often as the distance permits.  Right now, we have a monthly standing date - the 2nd Friday of every month.  Which means we get to see them again this Friday!  And sometimes we get lucky enough to see them in between those dates as well.
  
 I am so thankful for friends - for family - who come into our lives when we least expect it, and forever leave us changed.  We love you, Jake, Aurianna, and Rowe family!

2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! What a blessing to have this special relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete