Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Dance Recital . . . Almost . . .

Does anyone else ever have those days when you realize that you are really, truly the worst mom ever?

Yeah, I had one of those recently. 

It was the night of Katelee's dance recital.  We left with just enough time to get to the church on time.  I thought the recital was in our stake center, the place where they had rehearsed in the past.  We got there, and the parking lot was full of cars.  Running into the building, we found the stage covered with Cinco de Mayo decorations and the gym set up with tables.  Hmmmm.... this was not the dance recital.  We ran to the next church.  And then the one where we took pictures.  No luck.

By this time we were late.  Katelee started crying.  I started crying.  It was horrible.

We ran home, and I checked my email.  Nothing.  I had long ago thrown away the paper with the recital information on it, after I had written it on the calendar.  There, on my calendar, it said the location was the stake center, but obviously it wasn't.  So, I tried calling one of the other moms from Katelee's dance class.  Thank heavens, she answered the phone.  I could hear the music in the background as she whispered to me where they were and how to get there.  We drove like the wind.  Katelee and I ran into the building to hear the music for her dance number playing.  I started to cry again.  We had missed it.  I found the door to the stage, and she ran on and joined them for the last half of the song.  We were in such a hurry I forgot to put on her ballet slippers, so she was dancing in her flip flops.  And she was worried that she didn't know where to stand.

And I was standing on the side looking like a crying mess.

Yeah, the mother of the year award isn't coming my way anytime soon.

Needless to say, I felt absolutely terrible.  Katelee was disappointed.  I pride myself on being an organized person, but sometimes I just seem to be one big mess. 


We tried to make it up to Katelee by taking her out for frozen yogurt.  She ended the night happy.  Still, I hope I never make that mistake again.

5 comments:

  1. Poor thing! It happens to the best of us! Don't be too hard on yourself! You are an awesome mom and definately still in the running for mom of the yearj!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So terribly sad! I hate these times for the sadness you're SURE you are causing your child while your anxiety rises with every passing 30 seconds. You are still a good person(can insert "good Mom" here if desired), Katelee still loves you, and you can try again next time. And her pictures still look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DO NOT equate " bad day" with " bad mom". The one has nothing to do with the other. Don't be so hard on yourself. Always remember (especially on mother's day) that you can only do your best. On most days your best is great. On other days your best will just have to suffice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This all made sense in my head. I hope that it makes sense to you too.

      Delete