Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mint Brownies


Last Sunday was our annual Visiting Teaching Conference in Relief Society.  It was kind of a big deal, but turned out so nicely.  As part of the conference, we passed out a small Christmas gift to each of the sisters: a nice brownie spatula and a wrapped mint brownie, made from a recipe my Relief Society president had.

I was lucky enough to be able to help make these brownies, and they are the best mint brownies I have ever tasted.  I am going to have to rip out my old 'favorite' mint brownie recipe and replace it with these.  They are even better than BYU mint brownies, which is something I never thought I would say!!  (Is that sacrilegious?)  ;)  I am having a hard time even describing these brownies.  Here are a few words that come to mind:

rich
luscious
fattening
delicious
soft
sinful
amazing
flavorful
moist
wonderful
festive
awesome...

The list could go on and on. 

CHOCOLATE MINT BROWNIES

Brownie layer:

1 cup butter
5 Tbsp cocoa
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp peppermint flavoring

Melt the butter and cocoa together.  Sir in eggs and sugar.  Add flour, salt, and peppermint.  Bake in a greased 9x13" pan at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  Cool completely.

Mint Frosting:

2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp evaporated milk
6 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp peppermint
4 drops green food coloring

Mix all frosting ingredients until creamy and spread onto brownies.  Refrigerate for one hour.

Glaze topping:

6 Tbsp butter
1 cup chocolate chips

Melt together and then pour gently over green frosting.
Refrigerate again.


One thing I love about these brownies is how easy they are to cut; don't they look pretty in these little bags?  They didn't crumble like some other brownie recipes I have tried.
So, if you are trying to decide what to give your neighbors this year, need a dessert to take to the ward Christmas party, or simply want to make a delicious treat for your family, you know what recipe I would recommend!

7 comments:

  1. I CANNOT believe they are better than BYU's mint brownies. I just may have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, in the peppermint that is listed under "mint frosting" is that the same as the peppermint flavoring used in the brownie mix?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the peppermint in both layers is the liquid peppermint flavoring you can buy in little bottles - usually found in stores near the vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try them! However, I am going to alter the recipe a bit and use red food coloring. I love my peppermint... and I just cant eat green peppermint. It just won't taste as good, maybe you should try it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am officially jealous that I missed Sunday's VT conference. I am going to have to try these out... thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made them today. They are really really good, and they do cut really easily and aren't crumbly. BUT, I would need a side by side comparison of BYU's brownie's to really know which is better. The positive that BYU has going for it is that I don't have to put the work into making them!

    ReplyDelete