Monday, March 22, 2010

Variety is the Spice of Life

I am a person who likes variety. I avoid cooking the same meal twice in a month - too much repetition makes me hate the food. I don't like wearing the same clothes too often. And I have to find new things to do each day to avoid getting mildly depressed. :) In other words, variety makes life interesting and makes me happy. Which is why the weather this past week was AWESOME!!!

Last Tuesday and Wednesday, the temperatures here hit 70. We played outside in our short sleeves and sandals. Wednesday evening Katelee and I took a picnic dinner to the park. We were there until 7:30 p.m. It was still very warm that late in the evening - no jackets for us! It felt like June.

Thursday when we went to get the mail from the mailbox, we put on our jackets. It was chilly with a good spring breeze blowing; much more like spring than summer.

Then Friday morning we woke up to winter:
SNOW DAY!

We bundled up and went to play for awhile in the snow. It was too powdery for building, but we stomped out our names in the snow and Katelee used the hill as a slide.

Saturday was chilly, but sunny. Sunday was beautiful again. In the evening we went to the temple grounds for a walk. We wore light jackets and basked in the sunshine. The snow was mostly gone.

And THAT is why I adore Denver weather.
________________________

I'm not kidding when I say that one of the things that has made me happiest with this move is the improvement in weather. Before I moved, I had a short conversation with an acquaintance in the hallway at church. She asked where we were moving, and when I told her she exclaimed, "Denver! My husband got a job offer in Denver, but I told him no way! It's soooo cold and the weather is awful. I would never move to Denver, not in a million years."

Now that I know better, I want to call up that friend and tell her that Denver winters are a million times better than Utah winters! :) It's not fair that Denver gets such a bad rap. I've only spent one winter here so far, but from asking around it seems that this has been fairly typical of Denver winters. I know some years are worse than others, but some things that I have enjoyed about winter this year are:

The sun shines. Almost always. I can bear anything as long as the sun is shining! :)

The variety - yes, we get huge storms, but then the snow is all gone again within days and we are playing at the park again.

Snow that covers the ugly ground. When we do get snow, it's usually enough to cover the ground and make everything look beautiful.

Snow days. When it snows, who wants to go anywhere? In Utah, when I was a teacher, I can't remember school ever being cancelled for snow. Out here, there are snow days whenever a big storm comes in! When the huge storms hit, everyone stays inside, plays games, drinks hot cocoa and enjoys the day off. Then the snow melts the next day and life is back to normal. Beautiful.

No inversion.

Overall, fairly mild temperatures.

So, have I convinced you yet? Move to Denver! The weather is great. :)

1 comment:

  1. It took me a couple years to learn that what I hated about Utah winters was the inversion. To imagine sunny skies, beautiful snow, and clean air....you convinced me, Denver is great!

    ReplyDelete