Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hair and There

A week ago tonight I was feeling frustrated.

I was frustrated because I was bored and tired with doing the same few hairstyles on Katelee all the time. I like to do her hair. She (amazingly!) loves having me do her hair. But I was stuck in a rut. The next morning was her dance recital, and I wanted to do something a bit special with her hair. So I went online and googled "little girl hairstyles."

And a new hobby was created! :) There are so many fun hairstyles out there to try!!

I have given myself a one-month challenge.
The rules of my personal challenge are basically this:
  • Try a new hairstyle on Katelee each day for one month - no repeats!
  • Do not use the same two tired hairstyles I was using all the time (1. plain ol' piggy tails and 2. pulling up the top middle into a ponytail.) There is absolutely nothing wrong with these hairstyles. They look great on her and they are cute and easy. But, the purpose of my challenge is to expand my hairstyling repertoire, so for this month only they are banned from Katelee's head. :)
Katelee is loving this challenge! She's told her school teacher, her friends, everyone! about our new hairstyle challenge because she is so excited. I love doing her hair, because it gives me a few special moments with her each day. I also LOVE seeing the look on her face when she looks in the mirror to see a new hairstyle - she's such a girly girl.

I realize that this may not interest a lot of you out there, but I'm determined to document each and everyone of my 30 new hairstyles this month so that I can refer to them in the future when I need a hair-do idea. And maybe it will give some mom out there a new idea or two, also. Below are the pics and short descriptions for Week One.

Many of my hairstyles this week have come from a fabulous blog I've discovered called Adopt a 'Do. They have video tutorials you can watch. They are also an 'adoption' family. They are pretty much awesome. I recommend checking out this blog if you want some hairstyle ideas.

Also, what are your favorite hairstyles for your little girl?? I'd love to have you share!

Day Seven

Katelee calls these 'princess braids.' Part the top down the middle. Take a small square of hair about an inch back from the forehead, and braid back on each side of the part. Repeat once again, about another inch back. Gather the braids loosely in a pony tail. Straighten remaining hair. This hairstyle is FAST and EASY!

























Day Six

This is one of my favorites I tried this week, because it was so fast and easy and yet looks complicated. However, it was a busy day and I didn't have time to wash Katelee's hair. With the hairspray and curl left over from yesterday's hairstyle, this turned out a little fuzzy. It was still cute, but I'm excited to try it again sometime on smooth, wet hair.

Part top hair in the middle, put a flip on each side, rubberband hair off and flip all the way down to create a "chain," pull hair into a pony, flip and continue to rubberband and flip all the way down.

























Day Five

This may be my new favorite hairstyle ever. Katelee loved, loved, LOVED it. She also loved all the compliments she got at church. :) The hairstyle is three horizontal twists. The top and the bottom twist to the right and are secured together into a piggy tail. The middle twists to the left and forms it's own piggy tail. I curled the piggytails into ringlets. This is NOT a quick hairdo, but I think it was worth it. :)





















Day Four

This day was a QUICKIE hairdo. I kept the same zigzag part from the day before and pulled the hair into a side ponytail and added a flower clip. Why didn't I ever do this before? I think it's so cute!

























Day Three

I created a zigzag part down the middle to form two ponytails, then made ponytail "braids" going down each side and put ringlets in the ends.




























Day Two

Start by braiding an 'outie' french braid down the top-middle. Braid two regular braids on the two sides, and pull everything into a pony tail. Split the pony tail hair into five equal parts and braid each part. Take the five braids and loop them over and secure with another ponytail. I left the ends loose and fluffed them and added a flower clip. These pictures didn't turn out well, hopefully you can see them okay. I think the dark middle one shows the style best, if you can see it...


























Day One

I parted the hair on the side on top. Divide each side into three horizontal parts and create three twists going back on each side. Pull the hair in back into two pigtails, wrapping the hair around into buns. I left the ends loose and fluffed them. Perfect for cute out-of-the-face dance recital hair!



2 comments:

  1. So cute, I love them all. If you want some more inspiration these are my favorite hair blogs. Princesshairstyles.com. And babesinhairland.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo the babesinhairland.com site. It's full of cute hairstyles. You should put up more pictures because I love to look at cute hair styles (though you wouldn't know it based off my hair). And I wish Alexis would let me do that, but she likes to fix her hair herself. But maybe if I show her some of these pictures then she'll let me??

    ReplyDelete