Thursday, January 5, 2012

Joy in my Job

I have been so filled with gratitude lately for the blessing it is to be a mom.

I love my job.

And I never want to take it for granted.

It's a hard job, for sure. I am averaging 2 - 5 hours of interrupted sleep a night and trying to learn how to meet the needs of two kids. But I love it so much. The past six weeks I have felt so joyful and grateful, even in the midst of feeling exhausted and overwhelmed. It seems like a contradiction, but it's true. I am exhausted. I am overwhelmed. And yet, somehow I am enjoying every minute of this experience of being a mom of two.

I have had a few mommy moments lately that have made me so happy.

Like when I picked Katelee up from school her first day after Christmas break, and she couldn't run fast enough to give me my hug.

And when Blake gives me his huge happy smiles when I've just fed him and changed him and then sing or talk to him.

And watching Katelee swing-while-standing at the park today (in our 65 degree sunshine).

And when Blake starts fussing and stops the second I pick him up and he nuzzles into me.

And when I see how much my kids love each other, such as when Katelee talks and sings to Blake and he responds with smiles and coos and can cuddle up in her arms for an hour and be so content. He was crying while I was making his bottle yesterday, and Katelee was soothing him. I heard her say, "It's okay, Blake. The spirit is in our house and we are safe and everything is good." I love knowing my kids already have such a strong bond and love each other so much.

And when I took Blake for his one month check-up and the doctor praised him over and over saying what a perfect baby he is and how well cared for and how wonderful he looks.

And when we were traveling on our crazy-long holiday trip, and I read Junie B. Jones books aloud for hours until I was losing my voice.

And when we were driving on that same trip and I was smooshed in the tiny backseat between two carseats and with one hand I was holding Katelee's sleeping head up so she wouldn't keep doing the head-bob thing and with the other hand I was holding Blake's pacifier in his mouth (because he wanted it but couldn't help it from falling out) and stroking his cheek, and my arms ached but my heart was full of joy because this is what a mom does.

Yup. I have no doubt that this is what I am meant to do.
I love being a mom!

1 comment:

  1. You are the best mom ever! and the best wife! Love you, tons!

    ReplyDelete