Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Cake

So, here is a picture of the practice wedding cake (a.k.a. Gerald's birthday party cake) I promised to post.  Yikes!  Making my sister's dream wedding cake is going to be so much more difficult that I anticipated!  If you could see it up-close, you would find so many imperfections that I cannot live with for the actual wedding cake, so I will be practicing some of this again before the wedding.  I did learn a lot on this cake, however, such as do not leave the cake where Katelee can reach it (she totally took a bite out of it when I wasn't looking!) and three ways NOT to try to put the fondant on that HUGE bottom layer.  (I am still looking for a way that actually works without leaving a huge hole in the back - any ideas?)  

Again, we hope that anyone who wants a piece of this cake will stop by tonight around 7:30 or later to visit and eat a piece of cake (or two...or five...).  I promise that even though it doesn't look perfect, it will still taste great!  

5 comments:

  1. Jenn! I am impressed! Way to go! That's so awesome! I can't wait to see it in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks pretty! I'm sorry we didn't make it...I worked too late last night. But happy birthday to Gerald!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JEN! YOu did such a great job! I'm totally impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome cake! I wish I could help with the fondant problem, but I have never even worked with fondant before, so I'm no help at all. Good luck - I'm sure it will look great!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow you did an awesome job on the cake! I love making birthday cakes, but have never even tried fondant! I might need to take some lessons from you. speaking of lessons, about what age do you recommend starting piano lessons? Cameron has been acting interested in playing.

    ReplyDelete