Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fools!

Today was one of those days when nothing seemed to go as planned.

I woke up with a pretty exact plan in my head of how the day was going to go.

When everything seemed to go wrong, I felt like the universe was conspiring against me and I was living one big April Fool's Joke!
We had plans to go to the zoo with friends. Katelee and I were both really excited! We packed a lunch, picked up our friends, made the drive to the zoo only to find it so overwhelmingly crowded that it seemed impossible to find a place to park. We searched for a parking space anywhere within trekking distance for an hour before giving up - the competition for the available spaces was only getting greater.

So you thought you were going to the zoo today? APRIL FOOLS!
Then we went in search of a park as an alternative. We got lost. We found a park, but it was lame. We drove more. We fed the kids lunch in the car.

So you thought you were going to spend the day outside rather than driving around in a car? APRIL FOOLS!
In the end we did find a park, but we couldn't stay long because we had to get back before our friends' other kids got out of school. To make up for the morning, we took ourselves out for some frozen yogurt. Katelee and I went for a fun walk/bike ride. We played a few rounds of Katelee's new favorite game - dribble ball. We took silly pictures.

This evening, Gerald had to work late at school, so I invited a friend over to watch a movie. I thought I had plenty of time to get my other responsibilities done before 8, when she showed up. I was wrong. So, instead of watching a movie, I worked on making cupcakes all evening while we talked.

So, you thought you were going to relax this evening? APRIL FOOLS!

You know what? My day really didn't go as planned, but in hindsight, I'm glad.

I would have missed out on having some unexpectedly fun experiences with Katelee, learning more about the roads in the Denver Tech Center, finding a new park, and having some great conversation with a friend.

So, it's all good.

April Fools to you all!

P.S. Katelee REALLY wanted to play an April Fools joke on Gerald. She thought and thought and came up with the great idea of taking his pillow out of his pillow case and replacing it with a large ball. She giggled and giggled about the thought of him laying down on his 'pillow' tonight. :) What a funny girl!

1 comment:

  1. I told my kids about the prank Katelee played and they thought it was HILARIOUS! Good work Katelee! She's inspired us to start thinking for next year!

    ReplyDelete