Monday, April 25, 2011

A few good reads...

I'm always looking for a new good book. I love when I find a list of good books on someone else's blog or hear about a good read in conversation. But even though I read all the time, it seems that often when someone asks me for a book recommendation, I draw a huge blank. Ummmm ... what was that one book again?

Which is why I occasionally like to post some of my recent favorite reads on my blog. Maybe, just maybe, someone out there hasn't read one of these books yet and I'll give them something to add to their library list.

But mostly it's so I will remember myself.

Matched by Ally Condie

A futuristic distopian novel - I know there's been a ton of these lately, but I really enjoyed this book! The only drawback is that it leaves you hanging. If you hate that, I suggest waiting until the series is done before starting this one. But if you can handle a little anticipation this is a book that will draw you in!

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

Loved. It. Beautifully written, this book kept me thinking about it for days. Set in Seattle during WWII. I highly recommend this book!

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Do you love Jane Eyre, like I do? This is a very similar, gothic-type mystery, and I didn't guess the true answer until the twist surprise ending. Love books like that!

Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise by Ruth Reichl

I love to read a good non-fiction book, and haven't had a lot on my list lately. I really had fun reading this memoir about this woman's experience as the New York Times Restaurant Critic. Funny, heartwarming, and very well written. If you like food and you like reading, I think you'll like this book.

The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan

I know this series is old news, but I was pleasantly surprised at just how much I enjoyed reading these books and how sad I felt when they ended - I wanted the story to just go on and on! Fabulous!

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

I shamelessly adore fairy tales. I don't think I'll ever grow out of them. I discovered this sweet novel, which is a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. I think I read it in less than a day. I'll definitely be looking up this author's other books.

The Frog Princess by E.D. Baker

And speaking of fairy tales, my friend's daughter introduced me to this series. (Yes, I read books that my friend's children are reading. I love children's and young adult lit!) It's a five-book series perfect for a good indulgent read. I plan to read these to Katelee in a year or so; she'd love them, too!

Beauty by Robin McKinley
Spindle's End by Robin McKinley

And since I'm admitting all, I might as well confess that I re-read these two books this past month, also. These are both retellings of fairy tales (Beauty & the Beast and Sleeping Beauty). I enjoy reading them so much, they've become part of my pile of regular stand-bys for when I don't have anything new to read.

What other books are in that pile? The Anne of Green Gables series, Little Woman, The Harry Potter series, the short stories of O. Henry, and Jane Eyre. These are all books that I can pick up at any given time, allow to fall open to any random page, and dive right into the midst of the story without a moment of confusion. I love that feeling.

Books on my night stand that I'll tackle soon:

Devil's Food Cake by Josi S. Kilpack
The Oracle of Stamboul by Michael David Lukas
Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

Do you have any great books to recommend? I'd love to hear what you're reading!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! I am in need of some good books to read. A couple years ago I read a really good book in book club called Little Britches by Ralph Moody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love Robin McKinley too. I've read Spindles End at least a dozen times. I would recommend The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown. Both by McKinley, both covering the same kingdom, which was made up by McKinley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and Rose Daughter by McKinley is good too. It's Beauty and the Beast again, only more detailed. It's pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete