Thursday, December 8, 2011

Musical Birthday Party

Katelee was invited to a birthday party last week. It was for a school friend, and everyone in the class was invited. The mom, who is a professional musician, had the idea that we would drop the kids off for an hour while she rehearsed a musical production with the kids. Then all the parents were to return for the grand performance.
Because of Blake's feeding schedule, it was easiest for me to just stay, so I sat in the back corner while they 'rehearsed.' I don't mean to laugh at this poor mother's pain or her good intentions, but this may have been one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed.
Kids were everyone! Climbing on chairs, making a fort underneath the grand piano, skipping around the room . . . She tried to teach them words and actions to songs that were to take up a 30-minute program. It took about 20 minutes for them to learn the first line of the first song, so in the end they just shook their instruments on the first song and then singing a couple of Christmas songs. Oh, and the girls did a dance to Jingle Bells.
When the parents came for the performance, I think the mother was quite embarrassed. The truth is, though, that all the kids had a great time and just loved banging away at their instruments and free dancing and doing what they wanted. I think the performance was adorable, even if her grand visions didn't quite play out. :)

Oh, five-year-olds are SO entertaining. I don't know who had more fun at this party - Katelee or me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment