Tuesday, May 25, 2010

First Cavity

This post is a week late, but I had to get it in here. Last week Katelee had her first cavity filled. I feel bad that she already has a cavity, but on the bright side she really loves the dentist. She did so well! The pediatric dentist we go to is excellent, and Katelee thought the whole experience was like a big party. The saddest and hardest part of the day was when they were painting some fluid (what is that stuff, dentist people?) on her teeth they told her she could choose a picture for them to paint. She was so excited to ask them to paint princesses on her teeth. When she was all done, she thought we were going into another room to get the princesses painted on her teeth. Then I had to be the one to explain to her that they were already all done, and no she wouldn't be able to see all the princesses on her teeth when she looked in the mirror. Talk about heartbreak! Honestly, knowing Katelee, I think it would have been better had they just told her that they were giving her a shot and filling a cavity. I appreciate that the experience was fear- and pain-free and that she didn't know she had had a shot until I told her afterwards. But next time I think I'll just ask them to be honest with her, rather than break her heart about the princess paintings.

I took a picture of her when she was having the happy gas.
She was so loopy, it was actually really funny!
After the dentist, I told her she could choose what we did next as a treat for her good behavior. She chose to walk over to a nearby duck pond and throw sticks into the water. It was actually really pretty and relaxing and we had a good time until we started to hear thunder. We stayed a few more minutes, and then made a mad dash for our car, barely reaching it before the downpour started. Perfect timing!

Katelee, you are so grown up, so brave, and so much fun. You thought is was so hysterical when the ducks stuck their bums up into the air, which made me laugh, too! I love you so much, girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment