Thursday, June 4, 2009

Grandpa Steve Daw

My grandpa passed away early this morning.  I will miss him so much.  This has been coming for some time, and I am glad to know that he is happy and not suffering, and that we will see each other again.  My Grandpa Thurston (my dad's dad) died before I was born, so Grandpa Daw has been my only grandpa while growing up.  

Here he is last summer with his wonderful wife, Kaye.
Here we are at a get-together at our house in 2006.
At Katelee's blessing day, 2006.
Slumber party in Grandma and Grandpa's backyard!  2008
The first time Grandpa saw Katelee, 2006.
Me and grandpa, June 1, 2009.

Things I will always remember about my grandpa:
  • He loved to laugh and always had a good joke ready to tell.  Sometimes he would call me up just to tell me a joke.
  • He loved his grandchildren; he was overjoyed whenever we came to visit.  He always had time for us.  He called me often.
  • He loved to play games.  We often played dice or card games with him.
  • He loved root beer.  
  • He was great at skipping rocks.  Once, as a child, he came with our family to a lake.  We kept finding flat rocks for grandpa to skip on the water.  Then my sister, Melissa, found this GIGANTIC flat rock.  We all laughed so hard at the thought of skipping that thing.  Then Grandpa picked it up and threw it; I think it even skipped once!
  • He loved Gerald, and told me every time I saw him what a great guy I had married.  Once or twice Gerald took Grandpa to the priesthood session of General Conference, and Grandpa was always so tickled by that.
  • He always liked to introduce me to others as "my first grandchild."  
  • He loved to go to lunch with us.
  • He loved to have us over for dinner, games, or a movie.  We loved spending time with him.
  • I remember attending his baptism.
  • He loved to tell us stories about the pranks he pulled as a kid or funny things that happened to him in the past.  He had great stories.
  • Growing up, he always gave us money for our birthdays.
  • He loved to have fun.  Every summer he had a family reunion where we all went to Lagoon for a day.  We also had a lot of fun at these reunions playing games and staying up late laughing and talking.
  • The fast offering boys in his ward loved to have the route that included his house, because he always gave them a can of pop (probably Root Beer) when they came.
  • I loved his laugh.
  • He loved to support his family, and was always there for an important event.  I remember him attending my high school graduation, my wedding, Katelee's blessing day, and more.
  • He thought cereal bowls were for babies.  Whenever eating cereal or ice cream, he used the BIG bowls.  :)  
  • He thought Katelee was so cute and so smart, and told us so often.
I love him; he was a great grandpa to me and I look forward to seeing him again someday.

7 comments:

  1. What great memories! Let me know what we can do to help out. I will be thinking of you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this because it shows how much your grandpa really means to you. You are blessed to have such an awesome grandpa, and thank goodness for eternal family relationships! Let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I remember thinking he was a wonderful grandpa when I met him many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always hard for us to lose someone we love. What would we do without the gospel of Jesus Christ? We know that he is not leaving your family behind, but rather he is going on ahead. He is catching up with so many that have gone before him, people that he loves and has missed so much. What a blessing to know that we will one day "catch up" with those that we love and miss too.
    Even though you didn't have the priviledge of knowing your Grandpa Thurston on this earth, I believe that when you "catch up" to him you will be surprised to realize how well you already know and love him.
    Love,
    Aunt Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss. It is wonderful that we have a knowledge that he is happy and in a great place. Please let me know what I can do for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading this post. You have a lot of great memories of your Grandpa. If you need anything let me know. We love you and your adorable family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am so sorry! Those were some really sweet memories. It's nice that you were able to be so close to him. He sounds like a great man who had a great life, and had fun along the way. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete