Monday, June 1, 2009

Hypothetical Situation

Let's pretend you're moving.  To Denver.  You went and visited and found an apartment you really loved, for a killer deal.  You felt really good about it.  So you paid $400 to lease the apartment.

The only drawback was the apartment was on the second floor.  And you happen to have an upright piano.  "No problem," you think.  "I'll just hire a piano mover."

So you start calling piano movers for quotes.  And admidst the companies telling you they'll only charge you $200 to carry your piano up the stairs, you begin hearing things like, "There is no way you can get that piano into that apartment."

So you measure everything: the width of the stairs, the degree of the turn, your piano, etc.  

And you discover that there is 100% NO POSSIBILITY of getting that piano in there.

What do you do?

A.  Ignore the fact that the piano is your primary source of income and the way you were going to pay the rent and move in anyway.

B.  Take the first floor apartment that came available today, but pay the $70 extra each month in rent.  (Yes, that is non-negotiable.)  Even though the original rent was about all you felt you could afford.

C.  Break your contract, lose your $400, and go through the effort of finding another apartment to rent.

D.  Cry, then buy a gallon of death-by-chocolate ice cream, eat the whole thing, and pretend that none of this is happening.

E.  Fashion your own personal pulley-system and have your husband carefully raise your piano onto your second story balcony.

F.  None of the above.

Isn't it interesting that a week ago our house was sold and we had found the perfect apartment and everything was falling into place?  And now our house is back on the market and we probably need to find another place to move into?  Good thing for yesterday's Relief Society lesson about trials.  ;)

So seriously.  If you read this blog, tell me what you would do.  Please?  We could use all the advice possible, not to mention that I am curious who is reading my blog.

14 comments:

  1. I would take the lower level apartment. It would take just under six months to pay off the 400 you would lose. Pick up one more student a month to pay for the extra cost after the six monthes. I am sure you will have students begging for a spot. Don't stress, it will all work out! Who knows maybe it's a way to prevent Gerald from three years of horrible pain due to his knee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH.MY.GOSH. Could Gerald really rig up a pulley system to get it to your balcony? That would be cool, except if it fell, like on those garbage bag commercials. It would probably be the easiest thing to take the bottom apartment, and also indulge in option D. By the way, I really think that Denver will work out great for you. I know it's stressful, but when it's all said and done I bet things are going to be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My solution would definitely be D. Probably followed by B. I hope everything falls into place for good this time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Logically: Letter B!
    In the mean time: Letter D!
    Good luck Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my poor Jen. Actually I'm wondering how piano lessons are going to work in apartments? In the 1st floor apartment, will the piano be against a wall that is not shared with another apartment? If not, piano lessons might not work.

    I know you will absolutely hate me for saying this but if I was on the hunt for a piano teacher, (which I am and am paying through the nose for) I would much rather take my kid to a rented house or townhome than a huge apartment complex.

    Do you hate me now? If I was there, I would buy the ice cream for you. Actually I've heard there's this really divine cupcake shop in Provo, I would take you there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like something that would happen to me. Every time I think something is too easy and perfect, it usually collapses. We'll keep you in our prayers. I will tell you exactly what I tell Skyler, don't stress, things will work out, you are living right and doing your best and you will be taken care of.. (and theres my churchy moment for the day)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a toughie. I guess i would try to do B. if it could work. I am sorry that you have to go through all of this stress. We will be praying for you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had an answer for you. But honestly, I would do option D and then wait for Jeremy to fix it. I am not a problem solver! But here's the thing, you know how sometimes you have a hard time seeing the hand of the Lord in your own life but you can see it in other people's lives? (is that just me that is that way?) Anyway, I've always felt from my outside perspective and things you've told me that I can see the Lord's hand in your life. So while it's confusing and frustrating to you right now, I'm sure it's all for a reason. Hang in there, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always vote for ice cream. I can bring it over and share it with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Lisa--don't stress too much. Easier said than done right? If I've learned one this so far in this life, it's that you can always plan your life. This sounds like a case of that. It's so frustrating how these things fall through but after the fact the Lord reveals his purpose and you see how much better off you are and how you've grown. You guys are great people! The Lord will definately help you get through this, so trust in Him. (Wow, do I sound like I just went through a traumatic experience or what?) :) Hang in there-it'll work out. It always does.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Re-evaluate your budget to see where you can cut back to come up with the extra $70 per month. Most important include the Lord in your decisions. He always knows what is best.
    Aunt Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are the stairs narrower than Wymount? 'Cause you know we had our piano on the third floor. As far as teaching in a complex, not too much of a huge deal. You'll be doing it in the daytime, not when people are trying to sleep. Besides, most people enjoy hearing the piano. I'm with your Aunt Alice. Re-evaluate your budget for $70 or take on a few extra students. You could also consider something like giving plasma and pull in about $200-$300 extra per person/month. You need the piano. Not just for income, but for sanity. And DON'T do the pulley system. It has disaster written all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Jen. Option B. :) However, I know that whatever you choose will work out for you and that in the end you'll be super happy about where you end up! Wish I was closer...I could come visit and we could eat the ice cream together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi...what a bummer. Death by chocolate and option b....praying for you:)

    ReplyDelete