Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cemetery Search

I love cemeteries.

Is that a bit morbid?
But I really do. I think they are peaceful and interesting places to be.
I love walking around a cemetery.
Which was why I was excited when one of my great-uncles called me up with a favor. He is working on a project to gather photos of headstones of all our ancestors, and he discovered that a few of our ancestors were buried here in the Denver area. He asked if I could visit them and take pictures.
The search included two different cemeteries, both of which I've never seen the like of! They were enormous. No really, truly immense . . . blocks and blocks full of an eclectic hodgepodge of tombstones and headstones that faced any which way - like something right out of a Halloween movie. (In fact, Halloween was one of the days we ended up walking around searching for them - fun!) It was fascinating.

The hunt ended up taking longer than I expected, involving quite a bit of driving, three different afternoons, and help several times from the cemetery offices. But that made it even more rewarding when we did finally find them. :)

And the search, while sometimes a bit frustrating, also ended up being a lot of fun!
BOO!


Cleo & Ruth Frehner
Leroy & Ann Hafen
(Their daughter Norma is also buried here.)

4 comments:

  1. you should look into findagrave.com (i think. Brandon would know for sure) It is great for family history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really on topic, but that is the cutest family picture ever...the one where you and Gerald are smiling and Katelee is looking up at you two out of the corner of her eye. Blow it up and frame it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is funny. I love graveyards too...Dallin thought it was wierd but is starting to come around :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love cemeteries. They have a peaceful and reverent feeling. Brad has compared them to being in the temple. Finding my family gives me a sentimental feeling, even when they are distantly related.

    ReplyDelete