Saturday, November 20, 2010

Grateful for Katelee


Parenthood is constantly surprising to me. I am surprised at how hard it can be. And I am surprised at how wonderful it can be. Lately, Katelee has been a joy. Well, in between the whining and occasional tantrum and mischievous trouble making . . . So, don't think she is a perfect child or that I am a perfect mommy. We are so far from that. But for whatever reason lately I've been able to enjoy her even more than usual and see her even more clearly as the amazing, smart, funny, witty, caring, wonderful person that she is.
Here are a few things that she is doing/has done lately that I don't want to forget:
  • Katelee has always had a vivid imagination. She can live on her own little Katelee planet for hours, even in the midst of other people or distractions. While driving in the car the other day she was telling herself a long and detailed story. When I asked her about it she introduced me to Mr. Greet (her right shoe) and Mrs. Greet (her left shoe). Mr. and Mrs. Greet had a whole life story - a past, current jobs, even plans for the future. It was awesome.
  • Katelee is learning to write. What parent doesn't love this stage? She probably goes through 10 pieces of paper a day. I find them all over the house, complete with illustrations and words or letters. She is constantly asking me, "Mom how do you spell ___________," a question that I love to answer. She also is in love with making her own books. She'll tape several pages together and create her own story with pictures and a few words. (Speaking of tape, she is addicted to the stuff . . . maybe Santa will have to bring her some for Christmas so she'll stop using up all of mine!) She is such a sponge for learning new things, and I love seeing her practice her new skills.
  • Katelee has a great sense of humor, and is always trying to make a good joke. The other day she took the hand towel out of the bathroom. When I went in there, she said, "Look, mom! The towel is missing!" I didn't realize she was trying to play a joke, so I simply replaced the towel. However, when I went into the hallway again I almost tripped on the towel lying on the floor. Katelee exclaimed, "You solved the Mystery of the Missing Towel, Mom!" and then laughed hysterically for several minutes. Oh, she cracks me up!
Oh, how I love my Katie-girl.

1 comment:

  1. She is so funny! That quote you have on the side where she thought she could see through the (glass) wall cracks me up every time!

    ReplyDelete