Monday, December 7, 2009

Finding Christmas

I've had a bit of a problem finding the Christmas spirit this year.  I haven't been grumpy about Christmas, and we have enjoyed the traditions we have experienced so far.  It's just more like something has been missing, and we aren't experiencing the real, full Christmas spirit.  And I wasn't sure why.

Until my bishop spoke to our ward recently, and one of his passing comments struck deep within me and I realized what was missing.

We didn't have plans to really give or sacrifice anything this year to make someone else happy.

In past years, we have always found a way to give at Christmas.  Sometimes we bought gifts for a family in our ward, sometimes we donated money, sometimes we offered free services . . . it was never much, but it was enough to make us sacrifice something ourselves to give it.  One of my happiest Christmas' was a year before Gerald and I had Katelee.  We took the money we would have spent on each other, saved only a very small amount of it, and gave the rest to a family in need.  We only had one simple gift to give to each other on Christmas, but it is one of my happiest Christmas memories.

This year we made no plans to donate money or give something to someone else.  We are students, and on a tight budget . . . our life circumstances have changed, and we can no longer help provide Christmas for another family...

But that doesn't mean we can't give.

Now that I know what I need to do in order to make this a better, more meaningful Christmas, I just need to figure out how to do it.  I've thought of a dozen ideas, but none of them seem like the right idea.  And I know that all of you have brilliant ideas.  So, what do you think?  What meaningful Christmas service/gift have you been given or been part of giving in the past that you would recommend to us?  We would love to hear your ideas!

6 comments:

  1. We've been thinking the same thing, so I'm anxious to hear others ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One year I decided to give up a sin as a gift to Christ. I tried to pick one that was hard for me previously to give up. Knowing that it was my gift to Christ made me think of Him each time I was tempted. Not wanting to take his gift away made it easier. I have heard of some families writting it out and putting it in an envelope or small gift to open the next year and see how they did before replacing it. I didn't do this but think it sounds like a good idea. I had forgotten about it and haven't done it since that year but it was a good experience so thanks for asking the question that reminded me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved when the 12 days of Christmas was done with different treats each night. It was fun as a kid to ring and run ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe there is a family in your ward who can't afford piano lessons for a child who would REALLY like to learn how to play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay Jenn I was hoping other people would comment because I wanted ideas too and you did get a couple of comments that is good. I was awake in the middle of the night last nigh having a hard time sleeping and this is what I came up...addend the temple more often than you normally would, play the piano (Christmas music) in a hospital lobby or old folks home. Babysit for people in the ward that need to get Christmas shopping done. Spend time visiting with a widow or lonely person in your ward or area, maybe vonunteer in a soup kitchen. Any of those sound any good to you? I am a dork I know sorry about that. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should ask Kara about the service project they did with the Nelson family. I only know a little...I am sure she could tell you more. But, they went to the food bank and got assignments to go deliver the food to three families homes. (Visiting the individual/family in the process.) I thought that was awesome!

    ReplyDelete