Saturday, February 27, 2010

U.S. Mint

Another place we visited with my family before the surgery was the Mint. It was fun, though I was disappointed they don't make any paper money there (only coins). Still, I'm glad we visited.
After the tour, we went into the gift shop, where Katelee found a keychain with her name on it. We told her we were not going to buy it (what does a three-year-old need a keychain for?) but let her get some new quarters and a new dollar coin instead.

Later that night, I found the Katie keychain in my pants pocket. Upon questioning, Katelee admitted she put it there. Sheesh. We tried to explain that stealing was wrong and we even had a family home evening lesson that night about repentance. I didn't feel like I was succeeding as a teacher. When I would tell Katelee that she would feel better after returning the keychain, she would reply, "I feel fine! And I like my keychain!"

In the end, of course, we took it back and didn't give Katelee the choice, though she would have kept it if she could have. She told the shop keepers she was sorry and she wouldn't do it again. As we left the shop and we walked down the sidewalk, Katelee turned to me and said, "I can't stop smiling!"

Finally! The teaching moment had arrived! We sat on a bench in the sunshine and I explained that the happy feeling was the spirit telling her that she had done the right thing. She kept smiling and saying, "I'm so happy!" It was very sweet.

Thank goodness for the spirit, who could teach Katelee a lesson I could not teach her.

1 comment:

  1. She put it in your pants pocket? Smart little bugger :) She totally framed you if things went south :) Is stealing a key chain from a Federal Building a Federal crime?

    ReplyDelete