Sunday, January 3, 2010

Friends

Gerald and I have had many discussions in the past month about the importance of friendship.  True friends are so essential to happiness.  Friendship is an eternal principle.  Not everyone understands this, but it's true.

Gerald and I have both made it one of our 2010 resolutions to be even better friends this year.

One of our greatest joys in visiting Utah was seeing some friends again.  We were sorely disappointed that we didn't get to see all our Utah friends on this trip; time was so limited!  There were so many of you (Tammy, Lindsey, the Emery's, Lehi ward friends, the Deans, and more) that we simply didn't get a chance to visit this time around.   We really would like to see you next time, for sure.

However, we did get to see many dear friends, and it was so wonderful!

The Wednesday before New Years we stopped in Lehi for a quick visit.  I hadn't seen the Shill's new baby yet, which I was dying to do, and we wanted to see the Pfunders before they left town.  It was soooo nice to sit in Tiff's kitchen and visit with everyone; it was just like old times!

Then Tiffany made arrangements for my book club friends and Kara to get together on Saturday for lunch.  We went to Olive Garden where we ordered the all you can eat soup and salad lunch and gabbed like crazy for several hours.  It was heaven: good food, amazing friends, great conversation . . . it did my heart good.  I love those girls so much!  This type of situation is the number one thing I have most missed since moving - sitting around and talking with true friends that know you as well as you know yourself.  I'm still looking for that here in Denver.  It takes time.  

Sunday we attended our old ward.  The Shills blessed their sweet new baby (who by the way is even more adorable in person!) and we had a great time catching up with all our old friends from the ward.  Wendy made me cry in Relief Society by expressing how that they miss me (Oh, it's nice to be missed!) and I was able to see so many other friends that I've longed to see.  It was wonderful.

The Shills invited us over after church for the luncheon.  I didn't want to feel like we were infringing on their family time, but I have to honestly say that I felt just like one of the family.  The Shills are like that.  I love them.

We stayed at the Shills until about 4 in the afternoon, visiting, playing, breaking up kid fights, laughing, and cuddling the baby.  It was perfect.

That day while we were in church, the closing Sacrament hymn had the following words.  Unfortunately I was in the bathroom at this time, but Gerald later pointed out that these words perfectly describe our feelings:

Each life that touches our for good
Reflects thine own great mercy Lord:
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.

What greater gift doest thou bestow
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose memory
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

For worthy friends whose lives proclaim 
Devotion to the Savior's name
Who bless our days with peace and love
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above.

Thank you, to all our friends, for the many ways you better our lives.

1 comment: