Sunday, January 24, 2010

Paperwork!

I woke up yesterday morning motivated to make a huge dent in this gigantic packet of adoption paperwork before the weekend was over.
Now that I have resolved that this is for real, I am anxious to get it going as quickly as possible!

Lest you think I'm exaggerating when I complain about the paperwork, let me tell you just a few of the things we have to fill out and/or gather.
  • A general application form
  • 3 detailed letters of reference from non-relatives
  • A reference letter from our bishop
  • All 3 us have to have a medical exams and the doctor has to prove we are healthy
  • Fingerprinting for all 3 of us (seriously, Katelee, too!)
  • Background checks for all 3 of us
  • Financial statements and employment verification (Employment? What employment?)
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Detailed information about our extended families, including personality traits, physical descriptions, our relationships with them, etc.
  • An 11-page questionnaire about our more immediate family that asks questions such as, "Describe your childhood (teenage, newlywed, etc.) experience," "How sexually compatible are you and your spouse," and "How will you discipline a child in your care?" - just to name a few.
  • Pages of questions about what we prefer or are okay with in terms of the adopted child: including race and about every possible medical condition possible. You also have to mark if you are okay with the birth parent having that condition.
  • More essay questions I haven't even come to yet
  • A home study - 3 visits to our home by a case worker to make sure we have a safe and nurturing home environment.
  • More things I know I haven't even begun to uncover.
Phew! So, what do you think is worse? All this paperwork or childbirth? Ha ha ha! I can't make a fair judgement, as Katelee was born C-section. :)

3 comments:

  1. That counts as childbirth especially with all the recovery afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me? Paperwork is worse. Its like there's no end. At least with childbirth, it's gotta end at some point! AND there's epidurals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Katelee makes it past the background check...
    and seriously? They ask you questions about your "compatability"?

    ReplyDelete