Sunday, August 30, 2009

Camping and Callings

We have had a fun weekend, but unfortunately, I do not have any pictures to post because our camera is lost!  Do you know how many times in the past few days I have said, "Let's take a picture of thaaaa... Oh, yeah, the camera's lost."  It will probably (hopefully!) turn up soon, probably stuffed in Katelee's dress-up box or some other such place.  But until then, sorry - no pictures!

Our new ward had a camp-out this weekend, which we attended.  It was a ton of fun.  I like camping, but sometimes when just the three of us go camping we get a little bored.  After awhile we aren't sure what else to do with ourselves.  That is why camping with a big group is fun - you get to camp and be entertained the whole time!  The evening was a lot of fun, spent by the fireside with lots of s'mores, skits by the young men (very funny!), singing accompanied by a few guitarists, a comedy routine by 'Doctor Proctor' (an anesthesiologist in the ward who was seriously hilarious), and talking and visiting.  Katelee had a blast playing with the mobs of young children and Gerald and I had fun getting to know the people in our ward a lot better.  The camp-out was very well attended, so I didn't get to talk to everyone, but I am starting to know who a lot of people are!

Today in church I was given a new calling to be the ward enrichment leader.  Hee hee, remember that post about when I was debating about going to enrichment or not?  Maybe I shouldn't have gone - just kidding!  I am actually really, really excited.  But I'm also nervous and a little overwhelmed.  I don't know the sisters of this ward yet, but hopefully this calling will help me know them quickly.  At least I know the Lord knows them, so He can help me know their needs.  I am happy to have a place to serve, though.

Tonight some nice people in our ward invited us and another family over for treats and games.  The kids played nicely (mostly) together while we had a fun time laughing and visiting.  It was nice to feel like we were with friends again.  

It has been a good weekend.  I am looking forward to this coming week, which will bring the first of my new piano lessons, my order of peaches and pears for canning (wish me luck!), and the last few days of swimming.  Oh, and hopefully we'll find our camera.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Enrichment Leader!!! You'll be great!! That is a great way to get to know your ward really well...at leat the sisters. It will be fun to bounce ideas off one another. I am also very impressed with your desire to jump right into your ward. No flying below the radar for you guys! Hope your week goes well! Give Katelee hugs from the Pfunders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shortly after our move we lost our camera for over a year- hopefully you find it faster than we did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enrichment leader is on the top of my "callings that I don't think I'd naturally thrive in" list (and was followed by ward choir pianist and primary chorister, which I got called to both at essentially the same time here - ha ha!) - except that at least you have a committee that you can turn to for ideas and to delegate. I'm sure you'll do a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete