Sunday, August 23, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Life here in Colorado is going well, but has been exceptionally busy! I have to say, first of all, that I love it here. I really do! We couldn't be happier with our new location; we are very close to great stores, libraries, rec centers, parks and more, and yet our apartment looks out over a large and beautiful field of quietness. We are very lucky! And the people here are so friendly. Seriously, sooooooo friendly. I can't run any errands without getting into a conversation with a stranger. But not only do I get into lots of conversations with people I didn't previously know, but these people are genuinely interested in me. It's really nice to be surrounded by happy, caring, nice, friendly people.

Katelee and I have been decorating and organizing our house this week, as well as exploring our new area. We've been to the Highlands Ranch library, which sports a really fun children's room and a preschool-aged story hour that is tons of fun! We've been swimming often. We've tried out a new park or two, found the local fabric store, Kohl's, grocery stores, and more.

Since some of you have asked, here are some pictures of our new apartment. One of my regrets when we moved from our house was that I didn't do more with it while I lived there. I always meant to put up window coverings, I just never got around to it, for example. So, I was determined to not have the regret this time around. We have had fun this week making curtains and hanging pictures and making our apartment feel a little bit more like home.

The (tiny) kitchen
Dining area
Views of the Living Room



Katelee's Room is still a work in progress; we haven't finished hanging everything on her walls, but it still looks really cute, especially her new bed.  And speaking of her new bed, she LOVES it.  In every prayer she says, she mentions, "Thank you for my big girl bed."  She sleeps so well in it too - Hooray!
The "piano studio"

The mysterious wet spot that appeared this morning.
You can't really tell in this picture, but this morning we discovered a huge wet spot on the floor in the third bedroom (piano room/office).  And it's slowly growing.  The carpet is completely saturated.  The only place the water could be coming from is below.  I am quite worried about what it could be.  I'm going to call maintenance in the morning, so hopefully we'll know what's going on tomorrow.  Gerald said it might be a broken plumbing pipe, and then he remarked (half-jokingly) that maybe they would have to tear up the floors and we would have to move into another apartment.  I teared up, even though I knew he was joking.  I just can't move again.  I can't.  And that's all there is to it.  So hopefully (cross your fingers) everything will be fixed easily.

Ha ha ha ha . . . you have to admit, there would be a humorous kind of irony in the whole situation if we did have to move again.  I just finished unpacking the last boxes yesterday . . . wouldn't that be classic timing?  ;)

6 comments:

  1. Wow it looks great! I hope you don't have to move! Something similar happened with us and we did have to move... It was terrible moving, but we like the new apartment way better so it was definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful! You have done such a great job. Good luck with the water spot. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooooooooooo glad you posted pictures of your new place. I was gonig to ask you about that. Thank you! I am also sad to hear about your mysterious wet spot. For your health and sanity I do hope you don't have to move out of your place for them to fix it. Good luck with that. Your curtains and such look awesome Jenn! good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks really cute! I hope the wet spot is an easy fix. And I'm glad you are loving it there (even though we miss you here).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job decorating Jen! It looks great. I have lived in mine for 5 years now, and I still haven't "decorated" it, so I'm proud of you, and I really really really hope you don't have to move!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is such a cute apartment! So much bigger than the 2 bedroom we had with 5 of us! Your apartment has more decor on the walls than my entire house and we have been here almost 2 years! Good luck with the wet spot!

    ReplyDelete