Saturday, August 1, 2009

Numbers of a Wedding Cake

I am in the process of working on a wedding cake for my brother-in-law Geoff and his fiancee Bonnie. Because the wedding is happening during this crazy transition time of my life, I am baking the cake a couple of weeks early and freezing it. Here are some numbers to help demonstrate the wedding-cake baking process:

1 - the number of finished cake layers I dropped a pan on and therefore had to start over
2 - the number of ovens I had heated and baking all day long
3 - the number of flavors this cake will offer when finished (carrot, chocolate and almond butter)
4 - the number of stores I went to in the last two days trying to find square cake boards. Seriously - does anyone know where to find these?! At this point, I'm planning on making my own
9 - the number of layers of cake required: three different sized square pans, three layers of each size...
12 - the number of hours straight I spent standing in the kitchen today while I baked the cakes without a minute to stop or rest; I've never baked all the cakes in one day, so I was surprised by how much time this took all in a row
24 - the number of pounds of powdered sugar that will go into the frosting and fondant
105 - the number of eggs I used in the cake
112 - the number of cups of cake batter needed
232 - the number of people this cake should serve (assuming we don't serve the top layer but save that for the happy couple)

Good thing I actually like making cakes...Okay, okay, I LOVE it, even if it is a lot of work!

8 comments:

  1. You are incredible! BTW you do plan on being back in Utah by the time Bailey gets married, right?!? I mean you have at a minimum 9 years. By then I am sure you will have mastered the delicate art of painted sugar flowers... because, you know, I have been planning.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy cow! That is insane! I can't wait to see pictures of it when it's all decorated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it! What a talent. You could seriously do it for a business. That cake looks absolutely amazing and delicious! You wouldn't ever want to see it cut. Do you cringe when they cut the cake. I would!

    I really wish I could have come to Harry Potter. I called you back at your cousins house and you were at Walmart. I hope your cousin gave you the message. Did you love it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again for making our cake way back when; one of my biggest regrets in life is that I didn't get to eat more of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're amazing. and like Lisa, I'm excited to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pictures are a must!! That sounds amazing. Good work lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wow, wow. I have never tackled a cooking project so huge! I admire your talent and standing-in-the-kitchen stamina!

    ReplyDelete