Friday, August 28, 2009

GRRRRRRRRR!

It's stressful having to leave my successful and growing piano business in Utah and start over out here in Colorado.  It's even more stressful knowing that the money from our house will only last so long and I need to be the main financial provider for our family by that time.  I miss my Utah students and their wonderful parents.  We had such good relationships.  I've been advertising like crazy out here.  I have posted my info on Craigslist and other advertising websites, put an ad in the paper, put fliers on over 650 doors, put fliers up in grocery stores and other public places, etc.  I have ordered vinyl to go on my car and in my window that will have my website address on it.  I've lowered my prices by half.  And now the waiting game begins.  I do have five students who will begin next week, but it's not as many as I had hoped for.  But, hey!  Five is better than nothing!  ;)  I am grateful for those five, I really am.  

But this morning something happened that made me extra frustrated with the whole situation.  A woman who had asked me to teach her son emailed me and said that she had changed her mind because she didn't want to sign my contract.  She called me "stand-offish," and "against building trusting relationships" and basically attacked me for daring to present her with a contract.  Keep in mind two things:  she has never met me in person and I had emailed her a copy of the contract.  You might wonder what is in my contract?  Wow, nothing that I haven't ever seen in any other music teacher's contract.  It says she will pay on time and that I don't refund money if they choose not to show up to a lesson, blah, blah, blah.  It protects her, too, saying that if I cancel a lesson she is guaranteed her money back, etc.  And then it simply goes through the list of books they'll need and encourages practicing.  It's straightforward.  It's useful.  It's cheerful.  It's perfectly professional!  Does this sound unreasonable to anyone?? 

She says that she has had a lot of music teachers in the past and she has never been presented with a contract before.  So my question to you is - do you sign contracts with your music teachers (if you've had experience with this)?  Is this woman just out in left field, or would you also feel put-off if your music teacher handed you a contract?  I just don't know, because my piano teachers had contracts and in Utah all my friend music teachers had contracts I just thought that was the way it was done.  I feel very misjudged, and this is particularly sensitive because I really need students.  I'd really like your opinions, because I don't want to come across as impersonal.  But I also find the contract useful for communication purposes and to protect myself - I have had rare occasions when parents didn't pay or students who rarely showed up to lessons.  At this point, I think I'm going to keep the paperwork, but stop calling it a 'contract'.  Maybe it would just be a 'policy document' or I might simply call it 'paperwork.'  Any other ideas?

12 comments:

  1. you are totally ok with a contract!!! I have to go get papers notarized for Reagans preschool! I had to do the same thing in Bailey and Isaacs preschool. If that lady didn't want a contract you probably don't want her as a client. More problems than it is worth!!! Maybe there is a reason she has had several music teachers before.
    Have faith! It will work out. How is Gerald liking school? We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get rid of the documents. (Even if you do call them something else.) Juli is right...this lady is probably someone you don't want to deal with in a professional setting....or any other setting...it sounds like. I hope you find more students to teach soon. Good luck Jenn! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason she has had a lot of other piano teachers may be because she doesn't pay and they refuse to continue teaching her child. Definitely keep your contract. You will get more students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys! You already made my feel better! For the record, though, I really don't think this woman was irresponsible. She had lot of music teachers in the past because she has had six kids (this one is the youngest) who have gone through music lessons with all sorts of different instruments; her youngest son actually has a music teacher now, but the teacher is kinda far away, so she was going to switch to me since I live closer. We had everything worked out, and through our email conversations, she seemed very together. In her email that she sent attacking my contract, she claimed that she has always paid early, and she was offended that I implied she might now pay. She was just so put-off by the idea of the contract and thought that meant she couldn't have a good relationship with me like she had with all her other students.

    I'm totally blown away. I never thought anyone would take it that way, but I'm worried others might. Thanks for helping me feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We never had a contract that I know of when I did piano but I might call it paperwork. Contract makes people feel legally bound and even though that doesn't change, paperwork sounds less threatening. It could even be piano registration forms. We sign contracts all the time but don't think twice because it's just normal life paperwork.
    That lady sounds ridiculous none the less. You wouldn't want someone like that as a client anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh...I like 'registration forms.' That's the new name! And it fits well since they have to fill out their contact info and such for me. You're brilliant Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not had a whole lot of experience with piano yet but i have had a lot with in home preschools and i have never actually put my signature to everyone but they did give out info on paper stating pmnt or time or latefee charged, no refund etc. don't know if that is helpful or not

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had my share of piano and violin lessons and, I would NEVER be offended if a music teacher presented me with "policies" regarding missing lessons and practicing! It just makes common sense. Why would you teach a child who was unwilling to practice? It is very professional to anticipate any problems and have policies regarding them up front. The client and teacher can anticipate what is to be expected. It is clean cut and there is no question to policy. Jennifer, you are totally fine with the contract. I think the woman must have been having an off day. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this so soon after moving and all the emotions that go with it. I'd keep the contract if I was in your situation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen, she's a loony. Let her go and I hope you never actually meet her and her offended ways. Wierd weird wierd. Always have a policy. There might be a number of teachers without policies that you have to sign, but you have a BUSINESS, and you are providing a SERVICE, and there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to have them sign a contract. It is your fee, you need to be paid, and they need to agree to pay you. Seriously, she's off her rocker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto from me. Jonah's piano teacher gave me a list of "policies" and then made HIM sign a contract that he would be on time, practice each song 5 times each day, and bring all of his books to every practice. She signed the same paper. So yeah, you know how to run your business. Maybe she was having a crazy day, maybe she's in the middle of selling a house and that one more "contract" put her over the edge of sanity. But don't doubt your own abilities to run a great business. And don't worry, it will grow leaps and bounds just as soon as the word gets out how wonderful you are. Mommies like to talk!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that everyone who read this blog before I got to it gave you excellent advice. This lady may be perfectly sane (maybe not) but if she is going to go off about signing a contract then you really don't need her. If she is representative of the area you have more that 80% (the other five) who are OK with the idea. You can't please everyone so blow it off and relax. The five that you have are definately going to pass the word about who great you are doing with their kids. I hope that the half price was an "introductory rate" and not going to last forever. Good luck.
    Love,
    Aunt Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that a "registration" form is perfectly normal. This is a business for you and you are just telling the person what they should expect from you. Keep it!!1

    ReplyDelete