Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Child's Prayer

For the past year or so we have had a very hard time getting Katelee to pray.  She would never say the prayer, no matter how we tried to help her.  We didn't want to push it; we felt that she would come around someday.

Well, that day is here.  It started the first night we put up her big-girl bed.  I told her that now that she was a big-girl and had a big-girl bed she needed to kneel down by her bed at night and say her prayers.  Well, she was so excited about that bed, she immediately knelt down and prayed.  

That was a month ago, and she has said every prayer in our house since then.  And I mean every prayer.  If, for some reason, someone else says the prayer (for example, the bishop who came to visit us) than Katelee has to say her own prayer when they're done.

I love it.  I love her prayers.  They are so sweet.  And they are pretty much the same thing every time, just in a different order or with slight variations.  I want to record her sweet prayer, so last night when she said her prayers, I tried to memorize what she said and write it down.  Here is her prayer:

"Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for this day.  Thank you for the gospel.  Thank you for my mommy and daddy.  Thank you for my big-girl bed.  Thank you for my new room and our new house.  Thank you for my princesses.  Thank you for our new apartment.  Thank you for daddy to go to school.  Thank you for my toys.  Thank you for grandma and grandpa. Thank you for my friends.  Thank you for the swimming pool.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

I know she is only three, but she is teaching me so much about prayer.  For example, I should say 'thank you' more and ask for less (I can't ever get her to ask for anything - I try to get her to say "Please bless the food," and she says, "Thank you for the food, " instead.)  And I need to be more grateful for the things that I have.  I haven't exactly felt extremely grateful for 'our new apartment' or 'for daddy to go to school,' but hearing Katelee express gratitude for it now about a zillion times has made me realize what a true blessing it really is in our lives.  So, tonight when I say my prayers, I will definitely be expressing gratitue for Katelee and all she teaches me.

No comments:

Post a Comment