Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I Love Smart Friends and Cute Solutions

Problem:  I have a little girl who is tall enough for size 5 clothing but skinny enough for 24-month clothing.  I try to only buy adjustable-waist pants, but even when I do that she grows out of the length of the pants WAY before she's made it to the 2nd button on the waist.  (Or she gets holes in the knees before she's grown out of the pants - another problem that can be solved through this great idea!)

Smart Friend:  My smart friend, Lisa, gave me a brilliant suggestion for solving this problem.

Cute Solution:  You chop off the pants or way-too-short shorts that still fit around the child's waist, and make them into a new and adorable skirt!  I think this is the best idea ever!  Katelee and I went fabric shopping and chose three fabrics.  We spent less than $5 on each fabric.  Then I spent about an hour per skirt and - presto!  New clothes.  And I didn't have to do the waist-band or zipper!  She loves wearing them.  She's been wearing them with sandals this week, but I doubled the fabric and made them extra long on purpose so she can wear them with tights during the fall and winter.   
Yikes - sorry about the wetness in these pictures.  I forgot that Katelee had insisted on wearing this skirt over her wet swimming suit, and I didn't let it dry before taking pictures.



The above fabric is the third fabric we chose.  I haven't made it into the skirt yet, but I just get so excited about cute fabric that I have to show it.

4 comments:

  1. very cute! But whatever happened with the wet spot? You can't leave us hanging like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo cute Jenn! Soooo smart Lisa! Good work Jenn! YOu did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Cute! Hannah is having these same problems, so maybe I will have to do this for her, another idea would be to add extra fabric at each ankle of jeans in a cute flower print. although she is such a girly-girl she would probably prefer the skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look cute. That Lisa sure is smart...or else she just reads a lot of creative people's blogs!

    ReplyDelete