Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Preparing for Primary

I realized today that I can count on one hand the number of weeks that Katelee has left in nursery.  And my heart sank.  Literally.

Katelee loves nursery.  Always has.  She talks about it during the week.  It's the most effective bribery tool for good behavior in sacrament meeting.  She looks forward to Sundays, because it's the day she gets to go to nursery.

And I'm scared she isn't going to feel that way in primary; when suddenly the toys, free time, and snacks are gone.

I may be wrong.  She will probably have an amazing teacher and lots of friends and she'll think primary is the greatest thing in the world.  I'm hoping.  But, just in case she isn't instantly in love with primary, I'm asking for advice.

What did you do to help your child(ren) prepare for primary?

Gerald and I have been talking about it with Katelee, and she knows the change is coming, but I don't think she understands what it really means.  So, we're trying to make the change seem like an exciting rite of passage.  For instance, for Christmas this year we are giving her her own scripture bag and her own Book of Mormon, which I embellished to look like this:


Isn't it cute?  Wish I could say this was my idea, but yeah, right.  I don't ever think of things like this on my own, I just copy other people's ideas.  :) (If you are interested in seeing the original tutorial that I used to make this, click here.)

But beyond this, I'm unsure what to do.

What other ideas, tips or advice do you have to help us prepare Katelee for this big change?

2 comments:

  1. I have no idea....because I think Carson is going to be the same way...and Jake did just fine. So, here's to hoping all turns out well, for both of us. IF you get any good ideas, pass them my way, ey!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cute! But I'm with you and Tiff, I need ideas. Alexis is always excited for every new thing, so Primary was a snap--especially because that's what big kids do. But I don't know how Tyler will do. And there's no way I can see him participating in a primary program in a year...I guess we'll see. Maybe just tell Katelee about all the big kids that will be there?? Does she like big kids??

    ReplyDelete