Sunday, November 15, 2009

today's thoughts

Church was cancelled today because of the snow.  I love going to church, but oh, it was so nice today to stay home as a family.  I honestly can't remember the last time all of us were home in the morning.  Gerald made waffles and hot cocoa for breakfast, and we played board games and read the lesson out of the Relief Society/Priesthood manual together.  Katelee treated us all to a tea party, and she made the most delicious strawberry-hot dog-chicken soup and pepperoni-milk drink I've ever tasted.  

______________________________________________

Do you believe in the rule of threes?  A week or two ago, I broke our TV.  Then yesterday our very old dryer finally gave out.  Now I can't help wondering what's next.  Our DVD player is acting up, and our camera is still working only when it's held together by duct tape...  In the words, of Michael Scott, "I'm not superstitious.  I'm just a little stitious."  

Oh, man, that makes me laugh every time!
______________________________________________

Today for lunch we used some leftover ham we had and made a new soup recipe given to me by my sister, Melissa.  I'm in love.  You haven't lived until you've tried this soup.  Try it, try it, please!  And please note, this picture just doesn't do it justice.  Not even close.  It tastes a lot better than this pictures looks!

Best Ham Soup Ever
  • 4 c. water
  • 5 red potatoes, cubed (leave the skins on)
  • 4 carrots, cut into slices
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3-4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1 bag of frozen broccoli
  • 3 c. cooked ham, cubed
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 3 c. milk
  • 4 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Combine the water, salt, pepper and all the vegetables except the frozen broccoli in a big pot.  Bring to a boil.  About 5 minutes before the vegetables are done, add the broccoli.  Cover and boil until all the veggies are done.  Meanwhile, in a separate pan, melt the butter over a medium heat.  Add the flour slowly, whisking constantly to make it smooth.  Add one cup of milk.  Continue whisking.  Add another cup of milk.  Still whisking.  Add half the cheese.  Don't stop whisking!  Add the last cup of milk.  I hope you're still whisking!  Add the last of the cheese.  Keep whisking until the whole mixture is perfectly smooth. Re-attach your arm.  Now pour the cheese mixture into the cooked vegetables.  DO NOT DRAIN THE WATER from the vegetables - you definitely want this still.  Stir until well blended.  Turn to low heat and add the cubed ham.  Leave on warm heat and stir a bit until the ham is warmed through.  Serve and enjoy.
______________________________________________

Finally, here is the random question of the day: Do any of you know someone who lives in Antimony, UT?  I'm very curious if you do... Please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I ddin't know they cancelled church cuz of snow. No such thing down here anyway! That sounds like a great morning though. I loved your superstitions quote. I will have to try your soup recipe. I love reading your blog even though I am not good at leaving comments always.

    ReplyDelete