Saturday, November 7, 2009

Sunshine and Kindness

The sun is shining today (really it has been all week!) and it is probably 70 degrees outside.  

I had a date night last night with Gerald, the first since we moved here three months ago!

Katelee and I went and did some Christmas shopping this morning, since Gerald is at school all day; I love Christmas shopping!  

People left nice comments on my blog.

I am going to sit and read a book this afternoon while Katelee naps - something I haven't done in a really long time!

My dad was officially accepted to the Denver transplant center!

These are all reasons why I am feeling significantly more cheerful today than yesterday.  Even though my homesick feelings are very real, and I'm sure I'll feel them some more, I want to write today about how glad I am to be here in Denver.  

Already I have met so many good friends, and some of them are already of the kind that I know I'll keep forever.

I am really enjoying this ward; it is truly an amazing ward.  I love my calling and I admire and love the people I serve with.

My visiting teachers are very kind and have already visited me!

People have really reached out to us and helped us feel welcome.  

Allow me to tell one little story to demonstrate how nicely we have been treated.  Friday, October 30 our ward had a fun Halloween party.  We had a great time visiting with others and 'trick-or-treating.'  Of course, about every little kid there had the same orange pumpkin candy bucket that Katelee had, and at the end of the evening we found that someone must have mistakenly taken hers home - it had her Cinderella crown, gloves and bracelets in it, and she was heartbroken.

Because we wanted the rest of her costume for Halloween the next night, we sent out an email when we got home explaining the situation and asking if anyone had found the things when they got home.  The family who actually had accidently taken the pumpkin home emailed us that night, and we went and picked it up.  The crown was never found, but everything else was there and Katelee was happy and all was well!

A couple of nights later, a sister from our ward showed up with a small gift for Katelee - these little animal pet shop toys.  (Photo by Katelee.) Aren't they cute?  Katelee adores them!  When asked why in the world she was bringing Katelee a present, she responded that she felt so bad about her lost gloves and crown that she wanted to do this!  Wow!  We explained that we had found the items, but she insisted that Katelee keep the toys.  How nice! 

Two days later, my first piano students knocked on the door and handed me a set of play jewelry that they said had been laying on my mat.  The set included a crown, necklace, earrings, wand, and so forth.  It had no name on it. Katelee was beside herself with joy!  Two presents!  And she loved her new jewelry.
So, really, I feel so blessed to be surrounded by so many thoughtful, caring, kind friends, even if I don't know who exactly they are.  Talk about going the extra mile!

We really are so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment