Saturday, April 18, 2009

Come What May, and Love It

I apologize if I have been whiny and depressing lately.  I am truly surprised at how hard this past week has been. You might be thinking, "But, Jennifer, you knew this was coming.  Or at least was a possibility.  Why such shock?"

Well, to be honest, it is so much easier to say that you can do something while living a fairly cushy life, and another thing altogether to actually have to do it.

It's not really the move that is scaring me; I will be so sad to leave my friends, neighbors, and family here in Utah.  But I am also exciting for the opportunity to live in Denver.  (Although it is always more fun to move up than down. Going back to student housing/apartment living will be cramped and more than a bit of an adjustment, I'm afraid.)

What I am most terrified about is the fact that Gerald will not be earning any income for the next 3 1/2 years.  We were depending on making some profit from our house to help see us through, but with the recent recession in the economy, that isn't going to happen.  I know that I am capable of earning money, and I know that lots of people support their husbands through school.  But I have been really worried about how it will all work out.  Because I still have to be (want to be) Katelee's full time mommy, too.  I'm not sure how it's going to work.  But it will.

Tonight I went to the temple searching for some peace.  And, as always happens at the temple, I found it.  I felt prompted to come home and look up a specific conference talk.  While looking up that talk, I also ran across President Wirthlin's talk from the Fall 2008 General Conference entitled, "Come What May, and Love It."  I read it again, really savoring the words this time.  Here is a quote from the talk.

"If we approach adversities wisely, our hardest times can be times of greatest growth, which in turn can lead toward times of greatest happiness.  I know why there must be opposition in all things.  Adversity, if handled correctly, can be a blessing in our lives.  We can learn to love it.  As we look for humor, seek for the eternal perspective, understand the principle of compensation, and draw near to our Heavenly Father, we can endure hardship and trial.  We can say, as did my mother, 'Come what may, and love it.'"  -Joseph B. Wirthlin

Come what may and love it - this is going to be my new personal motto.  So, no more whining from me, I promise.  

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on grad school!! I have some good memories of the two years I lived in Colorado-- I think you'll really like it. I admire your positive attitude in a time of change... we could all benefit from better attitudes After you're settled in sometime we'd love to come visit. If Gerald wants to go hiking I'm itching to get to the top of Pike's Peak. We'll have to keep in touch. --Dallin

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing what you can accomplish and what you can do when you "have" to. I truly felt that we were literally in the Lord's hands while in Oklahoma and know you'll find the same peace in CO whatever your situation will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will miss your family very much but are excited for this great grad school opportunity!! I really like that quote: "Come what may, and love it." Those are very powerful words.

    ReplyDelete