Friday, April 24, 2009

Flashback Friday

This Flashback Friday is dedicated to my house.

Putting our house on the market this week has been an emotional experience.  We love our house so much.  When our house was being built Gerald and I visited regularly and took pictures documenting it's birth.  We were so thrilled to be building our first home and anxiously watched each step of its making.


I love this house for many reasons.  For one thing, I chose everything in this house: the paint, the carpet, the cupboards and countertops, even the lights and plumbing fixtures.   We loved making all those choices about our home together.  We almost never disagreed on anything.

And I love the memories associated with this house; what a wonderful period of time this has been in our lives!  

This is the home where I spent my last few months of pregnancy.  

My water broke in this kitchen while cleaning up our spaghetti dinner.  

This is the house we brought Katelee home to when she was born.  

This is where Katelee learned to sleep and eat and crawl and talk and run and jump.  She transformed from an infant into a very big girl while living in this house.  

This is the house where I discovered I loved having a vegetable garden and mowing grass and where I learned to grow flowers.  

During the three years we've lived here I have fallen more deeply in love than ever with Gerald, and I have so many memories here associated with that: the spot in the basement where we danced one night, the built-in bookcases that Gerald surprised me with when our house was being finished, and more.  

This is the first home where I had the luxury to paint walls, put up wallpaper in Katelee's nursery, and hang an unlimited number of pictures on the wall.

This is the cul-de-sac where Katelee learned to swing and ride a scooter and learned what it meant to have friends.  We feel surrounded by friends here; this is the house where we learned the best meaning of 'neighbor.'  

I know that we will have other homes that we will love someday.  But this was our first house.  And the years we've spent here have been so memorable.  

There will forever be a part of us that misses this house and this time in our lives.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, you're killing me. Seriously tears. I would love to re-blog this post on my blog. Email me to discuss details, we'd just keep the last picture and change her name. But seriously that was awesome. And who knows, maybe a little extra marketing for your house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well that made me sad for you. It's hard to leave a place with so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. You should copy it to a journal and save it. I've been thinking of names for your cake biz: how about "JennyCakes" or "Creative Cakes by Jen". Also, there seems to be a real opportunity for teachers to get involved in helping Home Schoolers...my sister in law supervises 15+ Homeschoolers; helping their parents with curriculum, testing, field trips, etc. She is a stay at home mommy and is able to be with her kids and do all the homeschool teaching/assistance over the phone and internet...just a thought :) YOU ARE IN OUR PRAYERS, YOU ARE AMAZING AT EVERYTHING YOU DO and Austin misses you!!! (He has a piano recital in 2 weeks!).

    ReplyDelete