Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Finding Hope

It seems like there has been a lot of bad news going around lately.  I recently found out that a friend that I really love and care about is going through a heartbreaking divorce.  My young cousin was seriously injured and is in the hospital (see Hunter Thurston's blog for more information).  Other good friends have lost their jobs and income, causing very stressful situations.  Others I know are dealing with the trials of miscarriage, financial stress, illness, and more.  I know that all of you have trials, most of which I don't know anything about.

The biggest trial in my life right now is infertility.  Most of you probably already know that.  I know that this is a really personal topic, but I have learned from my own experience that (for me, at least) keeping things secret does nothing to help the healing process.  I have everything to gain from the wisdom and experiences of those around me.  

I ran across this quote the other day from an article on Blog Segullah written by a woman named Jennie.

"Like many good LDS women I have suffered with heavy-duty fertility issues. . . But this post isn't about my reproductive woes.  Only to say that by the end of my experience my soul had been scrubbed raw.  There are many mentions of "the refiner's fire" in the scriptures, but not being a jeweler or blacksmith, those metaphors don't really connect with me.  Since my day is filled with dirty dishes and more dirty dishes, I picture my spirit being scrubbed with an unseen S.O.S. pad.  By the end of my infertility saga my soul was standing there pale and pink and very sore.  But great trials have great lessons if we open our hearts and heads and let the Lord speak to us."

What a perfect description of how I feel some days.  You've felt that way before, too, haven't you?  

I have recently gained a lot of comfort from an article entitled "The Blessing of the Blackberry Bush" in the February 2009 Ensign.  One quote especially caught my attention; it is applicable to SO MANY different situations:

Elder George Q. Cannon said, "The Saints should always remember that God sees not as man sees; that he does not willingly afflict his children, and that if he requires them to endure present privation and trial, it is that they may escape greater tribulations which would otherwise inevitably overtake them.  It He deprives them of any present blessing, it is that he may bestow upon them greater and more glorious ones by-and-by."

Wow.  I love that.  That gives my soul such hope.

So, even though there are many days where I feel like I'm struggling just to keep my head above water, I always know that my Heavenly Father loves me and that I am His child.  I have learned a lot through this trial, even if I would rather have learned it another way. :)  For example, I have gained a rock-solid testimony of my Savior and his power to comfort us and lift our burdens.  My marriage has been strengthened because of the need we have to comfort one another in sad times.  And I have gained a much deeper and greater appreciation for the fact that I do have a daughter - a beautiful, brilliant, fun, wonderful daughter!  (I'm not biased, am I?)  Katelee really is a miracle for our family, and we cannot imagine life without her!  These are the things that help me through the hard days.

How do you find the strength to face your own personal trials?  I would love to hear any advice or ideas that you have to share.

3 comments:

  1. I cannot even number how many times I have read the words to "Where Can I Turn for Peace?" in the hymnbook during hard times. That's what I do when I am having a bad day. Good luck. I'm sure this is a terribly hard trial for you. I remember when you gave a talk in our Wymount ward about this same trial right before you guys moved.

    Jennifer, I am so glad that you invited us to view your blog! This will be such a good way to keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, you are truely one of my heroes. I don't have any advice for you, sorry, but I did want you to know how much I look up to and adore you. Your are a wonderful person. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jenn! That was very uplifting! I think that friends is another one of our many hopes...because they help us get through (along with our families) hard times too!
    It is so important to appreciate the hope we find in the hard times of our lives.

    ReplyDelete