Wednesday, February 11, 2009

PIeCe oF cAKe!

I spent most of my day today planning out, researching, and buying the supplies for Gerald's birthday cake.  

Usually I don't make this big of a deal out of a birthday cake, but I've been asked to make my sister's wedding cake next month.  I want it to be absolutely PERFECT for her, and because it's a style I've never tried before, I want to practice her wedding cake.  But you can't let all that good cake go to waste, so we've decided to make it Gerald's birthday cake.  That way we can hopefully get rid of at least SOME of it.  ;)  I'm going to color Gerald's cake so at least it's not white.  Hopefully it won't look TOO much like a wedding cake at his birthday party!

About 6 years ago my sister-in-law and I took the beginner's Wilton cake decorating class together for fun.  I really enjoyed what I began learning in that class, and since then I have been decorating cakes for my family and friends.  I love planning out a cake, designing it, choosing the colors and sizes, etc.  It's become something I really love doing.  Maybe someday I'll even pursue it as a business.  Anyway, since it's such a big part of my life, I thought I would post some pictures of a few of my favorite cakes I've done in the past.  

This was my first (and so far, only) wedding cake.  It was for my cousin Tara's wedding.  It's not perfect, but for my first wedding cake I was pretty happy with it.  Tara was so helpful and flexible and nice about the whole thing.  I even made the "K" on top of the cake.  




Baby shower cake for Lydia Cottle.

Katelee's 2nd Birthday Cake
A birthday cake I made for a neighbor boy turning 6.

Another birthday cake I made for a neighbor.  His birthday was in October and he wanted a Halloween cake.





Family Easter Party Cake 2007 


I'll post pictures of Gerald's birthday cake and of my sister's wedding cake when I finish each of them.  And remember, if you or anybody you know is ever in need of a special cake, give me a call!  ;)

6 comments:

  1. Okay, I know you make/decorate cakes, but I've never actually seen them, and this is way fancier than what I was picturing. These are all so awesome!!! I really love the easter one. I'm definitely having you make my kids birthday cakes in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those cakes are all fabulous. i can't believe you are so talented. i wish i lived close enough so you could make cakes for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-these are GREAT!! You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow those are amazing! I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you make a cake for me?? I have no talent when it comes to making birthday cakes for my kids. I attempt it every year and every year I get frustrated with myself because it never turns out the way I envision in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!!! I love your cakes! I'd commission you if we lived closer to each other. :)

    ReplyDelete