Sunday, October 11, 2009

Catching Up

I haven't posted anything all week, mostly because lately I feel like I never have time to do the bare minimum in a day, and also because my camera is dumb and is literally being held together with packaging tape, and it makes me mad to use it so I don't take as many pictures as I used to.  I know, excuses, excuses!  ;)  Anyway, so here I am to catch up on what's happening in our lives.  Sorry, lots of words, few pictures.  I don't blame you if you don't read it! 

This last week my parents came to Denver to stay with us for a few days.  My dad did some testing at the University of Denver Hospital in hopes of having his kidney transplant there.  We are praying really hard that it works out for him to come here to Denver to have that done, because then they can stay here with us during that time!  My dad had to choose five potential donors to get tested further, and I am in that group, which makes me feel very honored.  While they were here we also had fun just being together, walking around the mall, going to lunch, and (best of all) having a big birthday party for my mom!  Her birthday was a couple weeks ago, but Katelee REALLY wanted to have a birthday party.  I'm all for parties!  Katelee and I decorated with streamers and balloons, we made a yummy dinner of BBQ ribs and potatoes, and we had cake and ice cream.  I made my mom a 'book' cake, because she is the one who taught me to love reading, not to mention that she is a librarian.  
Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of my parents while they were here, the batteries on my camera died right when my mom went to blow out her candles.  But here is a picture of the cake.  Thanks, mom and dad, for the very fun visit!  We can't wait to see you again, and we hope it's soon!

Katelee is continuing to learn and grow.  She dresses up constantly (as usual) and I feel like I have to dress her in normal clothes at least 5 times a day.  She is such a princess girl, and lately her favorite thing to 'pretend' is Rapunzel.  
She has also informed me (a lot) that she is growing her hair out long so that she "can let down her hair" like Rapunzel.  I'm okay with that!  I reminded her that it would be longer than it is now if she hadn't cut it herself last January!!  Hopefully the dream of Rapunzel (and my increased ability to keep my scissors hidden) is enough to keep that from happening again!  Right now Katelee is working on a bedtime chart; she earns stickers by staying in her own bed all night. 
Ever since we took away nighttime diapers, she gets up and uses the bathroom by herself almost every night, but then after using the bathroom she wants to come into our room.  We make her sleep on the floor (not in our bed) but we really want to train her to go back to her own bed.  So, far, she has been pretty successful at it; she is working towards earning this Snow White Barbie as her reward, and so that helps motivate her.

Gerald and I received new callings a few weeks ago; we are now both second counselors. Gerald is in the Sunday School and I am in the Relief Society.  We both love our callings and are loving our ward here.  My calling has kept me extraordinarily busy, but that is because we are preparing for our upcoming Quarterly Relief Society meeting-formerly known as enrichment.  :)  It's been fun so far, but very time consuming.  I also had to conduct Relief Society today for the first time... it went okay, but I did butcher about everybody's name!  It's hard to conduct when you are still new in the ward and feel like you don't know anybody, but I'm learning and people are very forgiving!  ;)  Gerald and I were also given the assignment to talk in church next Sunday . . . ugh.  Pray for me, okay? 

School is going well for Gerald.  He seems to have finally found a rhythm and continues to do very well.  He was actually home the entire conference weekend, as well as this weekend.  Meaning, he wasn't at school all day on Saturday!  Hooray!  Happy day!  Let's hope that trend continues!

This coming up week will be a fun but busy one for all of us, too.  I am starting my preschool music and motion class, which I'm really excited about!  Gerald has some large models to build.  And Katelee and I were mailed a new friend named Flat Stanley that we need to show around Denver.  (Thanks for thinking of us, Jonah!)  And it's our annual SOUP WEEK!  So stay tuned for more!

3 comments:

  1. yeah! A post by Jenn! Sounds like you guys are super busy! I would love to chat with you sometime. Give me a call later this week when you have a chance. I would say today, but guess what? I am super behind in work! You're not suprized, I know! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of you holding the doll way above Katelee's head while she points at it. It's like she can't even touch it until she fills in her chart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do a bedtime chart for Lucas too, I love that you already bought the prize, that might motivate him more than just telling him he can earn it and we'll go buy it. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete