Saturday, October 24, 2009

Clam Chowder

This post is a few days old - sorry I didn't post it sooner!  This is the end of the Soup Week recipes!  I love clam chowder, a trait I got from my mom.  This is her recipe, and I really love it!

Laurie’s Clam Chowder
  • 2 cans minced clams
  • 2 c. peeled diced potatoes
  • 1 c. onion, chopped
  • 1 c. chopped celery
  • 2 c. milk
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • dash of pepper
  • 1 c. evaporated milk
  • 3/4 c. margarine
  • 1/2 to 3/4 c. flour
  • 2 cans cream of celery soup
Drain clams and set aside the juice. Put potatoes, onions and celery in a saucepan. Add clam juice and enough water to cover everything. Put the lid on and simmer vegetables over medium heat until tender. In another pan melt margarine. Slowly stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Gradually add milk and stir until it thickens. Add evaporated milk and soup. Stir. If mixture is too thick, add more milk until it is the desired consistency. Pour water off vegetables and add sauce. Put in the clams. Stir well and eat.


And now that soup week is over, this is the end result in my freezer:

Over 40 servings of soup to be used for lunches or a quick dinner this winter.  And my weekly shopping bill for the week we did soup every night was actually less than usual.  Nice!

1 comment:

  1. I love the picture of your freezer! It makes me think how you taught an Enrichment lesson on 30 meals in a day, something I did while I was a teacher, and also something I did as recently as Labor Day! My freezer is full of all kinds of things waiting for a "rainy cooking day"--thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete