Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Our Little Squirrel

What I THOUGHT Was Happening:  Katelee is usually awake for a little bit of my piano lessons every day.  She loves when she is awake before piano is over because she knows my treat bucket is still out!  She slowly sneaks into the piano room on tip-toe, takes a candy, and sneaks back out.  (My students and I pretend we don't see her...)  She'll usually do this a few times during the lesson.  I don't mind, because it keeps her busy and happy and quiet.  After my lesson, I'll find a few candy wrappers in the family room to clean up, so I feel like I have an idea of about how much candy she is eating.

The CLUES That I Was Missing Something:  Even though I hide my candy bucket in an out-of-reach place when I'm not teaching piano, Katelee started to have candy all the time!  Breakfast would be over and she'd be playing in her room and I'd walk in to her sucking a lollipop.  It seemed like she was pulling candy out of the air!  She even started to come up to me and offer me a piece of candy!  =) Where was it coming from?

What Was REALLY Happening:  I started being more observant and realized that when Katelee was hovering over the candy bucket while I was teaching lessons, she wasn't just trying to decide which candy to choose.  She was STASHING HANDFULS of candy in the tiny crack between the desk and the wall!  I can't fit my arm in there at all, but she can fit hers nicely, and she had a nice little stash of candy for anytime, any day, hidden within easy reach!  The little squirrel!  I admit, it was clever of her.  When I made her pull all of the candy out and put it back into the bucket, she wasn't very happy with me, though.  You can see how much she had hidden back there, but this was after a couple of days of using the candy stash, too!  


We also found a smaller stash in her closet.  Wow.  All this time I thought I knew what she was up to when she was pretending to be sneaky!  I guess she's sneakier than I gave her credit! 

2 comments:

  1. She is a clever little thing. Good thing my boys haven't found a place to stash my piano candy yet. They try to be sneaky while getting some out of them bowl, but then they come and ask me to open their candy for them. Not nearly as effective as Katelee's methods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute. We once found Hannah under our bread with an open bag of butterscotch chips and a bag of marshmallows. We had to dismantle the bed to make sure that we found every bit. My bedroom smelled like butterscoth for weeks :)

    ReplyDelete