Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Saturday Project

Today Katelee was sobbing near me on my bed while I folded socks.  She was sobbing - as she had been for the last 20 or more minutes - because she had lost her clothes.  (That is a whole other story, involving me trying to go visiting teaching, Katelee playing dress-up with the other children while we talked, Katelee's clothes literally disappearing, Katelee throwing the biggest tantrum of all time, and me dragging a screaming, partially naked child out the door...)  Anyway, I was trying to cheer her up while I worked on the laundry, and out of this situation was born Mr. Kissy Lips - a sock that loves to kiss crying little girls, especially on their Elmo underwear.  It worked!  Katelee started to giggle against her will, and then was full on laughing.  I began noticing that some of the socks I was folding needed retiring, so we decided to give Mr. Kissy Lips hair, eyes, a tongue, and a nose.  After his make-over, Katelee renamed him Dosies.       
Then we made him a friend.  Katelee named this little guy Dobeak.  
And that inspired another project I've seen on a few different blogs lately: a puppet show theater that you hang in a doorway.  We made this all from supplies I had around the house leftover from old projects.  I probably should have looked up a tutorial on how to make one of these properly, but I didn't.  Instead, Katelee and I cut this out and whipped it up in about 15 minutes.  There are no finished or hemmed edges, except for the very top and very bottom.  And I should figure out a way to reinforce the bottom of the 'stage' opening, so that it doesn't sag outward like this.  But for now, it works.  Katelee and I had a lot of fun giving each other puppet performances!  We even rehearsed a show called "The Two Princesses and the Big Bad Bunny" to show daddy when he comes home tonight!  He is sure in for a treat!

Sorry about the bare shoulders - lost clothes, remember?  (And, of course, she wouldn't even consider putting on another outfit...)



1 comment:

  1. I love how you just "whipped it up in 15 minutes"! REALLY?!?! Something like that would take me hours!! But you know that...you worked on fabric pumpkins with me for what...2...3 hours?

    ReplyDelete