Sunday, July 26, 2009

Homesick

Friday morning we had to stop by our old cul-de-sac to drop off something at a neighbor's house. As we got closer, Katelee started saying, "I want to go home." When we actually pulled into the cul-de-sac she noticed the new owners moving some final items into the house. "There are people in my house!" she exclaimed angrily!

We explained to her that it wasn't our house anymore, that the new people bought it and they lived there now, she started to sob. I couldn't help it. I started to cry, too. Then Gerald joined in. Awkward moment, with the new people standing a few feet away. We got out of the car and hurried into our neighbor's house.

We cried again when we talked to our friends, and again when we got into the car. And again when I said (without thinking), "Let's go home," and had to explain all over again that I didn't mean that exactly. And again when I told my mom the story, and again now that I'm typing it.

It's hard to move, but it's even harder when you don't have a 'home' of your own in the meantime. Katelee just needs a room that is filled with her own bed and bedding, her own toys, her own decor...we all need that. We need to be setting up our new home and meeting our new neighbors. Instead, we are just feeling really homesick.

On the other hand, though, we feel so blessed to have so many wonderful, wonderful family members in the area who would all take us in in a heartbeat. And we are so grateful for my Uncle Scott and Aunt Darla, who did take us in. They have a beautiful, comfortable home that is still close to Gerald's work and where Katelee enjoys being. They have been soooooooo hospitable and accomodating and kind. That is a huge blessing right now!

But I am looking forward to having my own home again, soon. (Only 11 more days!) Meanwhile, we are trying to avoid talking about home. And we are going to stay away from our old cul-de-sac. We had planned on spending time over there while we were still in Utah, but we just didn't realize how difficult it would be. So, to all my friends in my old ward who were planning on us visiting - maybe we could meet somewhere else?

Because right now I don't need any reminders of how homesick I really am.

3 comments:

  1. OK, I just cried reading your post...tears all around. :) Change is always hard, but I'm amazed at how grateful I am after the fact that we put our trust in Heavenly Father and let him guide us through the tough choices that we have to make sometimes. You guys will do wonderfully in Denver and have so much to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't done any moving since Amanda's been old enough to remember, but since she knows it's inevitable, when she really likes something, she talks about how she's going to keep it "even when we move." My sympathy now & best wishes for happier memories soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel! It's even worse when people are living in your house and you still own it... How'd you get yours to sell?! Jeff's sister lives in Denver so maybe our paths will cross again!

    ReplyDelete