Saturday, July 11, 2009

Living in the Light!

When we were looking for an apartment in Denver, we were disappointed about the fact that most of the apartments do not have light fixtures.  They do have light switches connected to an outlet, but you have to supply your own lighting.  

I love light, and need lots and lots of it.  When I spend time in a dark or gloomy place, I get depressed.  One of the things I have loved about my house is the big, plentiful windows and bright overhead lights.

So, I am determined we are not going to live in the dark.  I began saving up a little money to buy some lamps.  And then I went to Wal-Mart and Target and saw how much even cheap lamps are.  Bummer.  I've never shopped for lamps before.  They could add up fast.

So I turned to one of my new favorite things - the KSL classifieds.  We've sold several things on the classifieds over the years, and bought a few things too.  But shopping for lamps on the classifieds became my new hobby.    Here are the lamps I've bought so far on the classifieds - for a grand total of $35.  

Cute matching lamps for the sofa table in the living room.
Silver lamp for on top of the piano.
Silver floor lamp for our bedroom.  (Matches the bedside lamps we already own.)
Multi-colored lamp for either Katelee's room or the office.
We also bought a desk lamp and some overhead hanging lights for Katelee's room from IKEA (love that place!).  

So, combined with the few other lamps we already owned, I think we are well on our way to filling our new apartment with light.  And HOORAY for doing it so inexpensively!

2 comments:

  1. Aaah, light! I know what you mean, gotta have it. We first discovered the anti-overhead-light trend in Seattle. Things got a bit better in Ohio, but for some reason they don't seem to like overhead lights in the main living area. Kind of strange to me, but oh well. Glad you got such a great deal on those lamps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for you! And don't forget about Craiglist and FreeCycle. Can't live without them!

    ReplyDelete