Monday, March 30, 2009

Dress-Up Days

Do you remember playing dress-up as a little kid?  There was something so magical about putting on a few accessories; it really seemed that you could become whoever or whatever you imagined.  I love that Katelee is a dress-up girl.  She is constantly playing dress-up.  But more than that, she is developing such a great imagination.  The other day, for one example, she was pretending to be Jessie the Cowgirl (from Toy Story 2).  I had to call her Jessie all morning, and she had to have a little braid in her hair.  She galloped around and yelled "hee haw" and called for her horse, Bullseye.  I love it when she plays like that!  

Here are a few of her 'classic' dress-up costumes that she likes to wear.  (The fact that I've taken all of these pictures within the last couple of weeks just goes to show how often she dresses up.)

The Glamour Girl
The standard items are glasses, purse full of small toys, and jewelry.  Sometimes when dressed like this she'll come up to me and say, "Hey, dude."  I do not say that, so don't ask me where she learned it.

The Cowgirl
She loves to pretend to be Jessie (last year's Halloween costume), but when she found this cowgirl costume at the children's museum, she was in cowgirl heaven.  Yee haw!

Elmo
The funniest part about this is that she won't talk to me when pretending to be Elmo.  

The Little Mermaid
Take a towel, find a belt or sash and tie it around you.  You know - like how Ariel dressed when she first became human. I think she learned this from her friend Alexis.

Santa Claus
Still a favorite, even in March.  When she is Santa Claus, she carries around a bag of random toys with her and says, "What do you want for Christmas?" in her lowest, gruffest voice.

The Bride
To become a bride, you just have to find any cloth-like item and put it on top of your head.  Then Katelee will ask me to marry her, and we'll dance in a circle, and that means we are married.
The Bag Lady
This is one of my personal favorites.  Katelee will simply put on every random dress-up item she can find in any way she can get it to stay on.  It is usually accompanied with a large bag full of other random toys and gadgets, but the day I took this picture I guess she was content with her small coin purse, which was full of the plastic pizza from her doll house and a few play coins from her piggy bank toy.
Superhero
You know she loves superheroes. She wears her cape around all the time, but I snapped this picture of her at the children's museum pretending to be Batman.

The Princess
Probably her most common dress-up choice these days is the princess.  The actual princess dress varies from day to day, but the absolutely essential elements are the 'glass slippers' and the crown.

Does this make you want to be a kid again and play dress up?  Anyone want to go to an expensive dress shop and try on elegant dresses we could never afford?  Just kidding, I would never do that...  :)

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Bag lady is definitely my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dressing up is so fun!! Isabel and Haydn LOVE to play dress up too!

    ReplyDelete