Sunday, May 17, 2009

Counting My Blessings

While reading President Monson's recent conference talk, "Be of Good Cheer," the other day, I realized that I needed to focus more on the positive things in my life.  Here is a quote from his talk that really struck me.  

"It would be easy to become discouraged and cynical about the future -- or even fearful of what might come -- if we allowed ourselves to dwell only on that which is wrong in the world and in our lives.  Today, however, I'd like us to turn our thoughts and our attitudes away from the troubles around us and to focus instead on our blessings as members of the Church.  The Apostle Paul declared, 'God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.'"

I have let myself be filled with fear lately; I have been dwelling very negatively on the upcoming changes in my life.  I am sorry.  Today I would like to count some of my many, many blessings.
  • I have the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life, including the companionship of the spirit.  
  • I have a faithful, stalwart, hard-working, loving, funny, kind husband.
  • I have a daughter.  A beautiful daughter who makes me smile every day.
  • I have an extended family who supports me and loves me and I love to be with them.
  • I have a pantry full of good, nutritious food.
  • The weather outside is beautiful, and we have grass to run on and swings to swing on and friends to play with.
  • I can exercise.
  • I have high-speed internet.
  • We sold our house quickly.
  • We won't be homeless during that time after we have to move out of our house and before we move to Colorado.  We have options.
  • We have great educations.
  • Gerald has the opportunity to gain more education.
  • We are surrounded by amazing neighbors.
  • We are part of a ward family that offers us support.
  • The house across the street has the most beautiful yard, including colorful flower gardens, that I can admire from my windows or front porch.
  • I have skills that can support my family financially.
  • I have music in my life.
  • I am in good health.
  • Even though we might not be able to have more children, we can adopt.  What a blessing.
  • I have a comfortable bed.
  • I have access to amazing books to read.
  • I have friends I can call up and talk to for no reason at all.
  • The sun is shining.
Please forgive me for my whining.  I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment