Friday, May 1, 2009

Flashback Friday

Katelee got three stitches in her forehead last night.
It's a long story.
One I'll save for another post.

But in light of that recent event, I decided to make this Flashback Friday about the injuries Katelee has sustained in her short three years of life.

Oh, my daring, pain-tolerant, accident-prone little girl!

Major accident #1:
The scene: May 2008.  We are visiting the apartment of some friends.  Katelee and her little friend are sitting on the leather couch, watching 'The Little Mermaid.'  The adults are nearby sitting around the kitchen table, playing a game.  Suddenly Katelee starts crying; we see that she is on the floor.  How did she get there?  We really don't know.  Maybe she fell, maybe she was pushed...all we know is that she is really, really sad.  So we call it a night and take her home to bed.  

The result: The next day we notice that Katelee isn't using her arm very much.  But we had plans to go swimming, and Katelee is cheerful and happy, so we go to the pool.  (Aren't we great parents?)  Then, later that day we notice she is using her arm less and less.  We decide to take her into urgent care, just to be sure.  While we are waiting for the doctor, Katelee is jumping around, singing songs, and doing the motions to 'The Itsy Bitsy Spider.'  The nurse makes some comment about how there is no way her arm is broken that makes me feel slightly dumb for even coming.  Soon after, that same nurse does an x-ray, and eats her words.  Katelee's little arm is broken.  

The Snoopy sling
The very cool (and very bright) pink cast that Katelee wore for six weeks.
The scene: May 2008 (still).  A weekday morning.  Katelee and I have been to Wal-Mart and back and I am putting away the groceries.  The box of Pampers diapers I bought is downstairs on the family room floor.  Katelee is watching a show and playing.  I look down at her in time to see her standing on the box of diapers, lose her balance, and fall backwards, hitting her head on the toy bench.

The results:  Blood.  Everywhere.  I scoop up Katelee and the blanket she happened to land on and run next door to my neighbor's house.  I am trying to use the blanket to stop the bleeding, but parts of the blanket get saturated very fast.  My neighbor suggests I take her to the doctor (duh!  why is it I can't think straight in an emergency?).  So we go back to the same urgent care we visited two weeks previously.  Needless to say, I felt like a pretty lousy mom sitting in the waiting room with a blood-soaked toddler wearing a cast on her arm.  Maybe it was my imagination, but because of her recent arm break, I think they questioned me a lot more than usual about her accident.  (I swear I don't beat my child, doctor!)  In the end, Katelee had to get two staples in her head for about a week.  This is her immediately leaving the doctor's office after getting the staples.  She is SUCH A TROOPER!  Of course, she hated the shot in the head, but as soon as it was over, she was comforting me.  "It's okay, mommy!"

So, do you think there is a quota on the number of injuries one person will have in their life?  I would love to hear your injury stories!

3 comments:

  1. When Brad was 3 he collided with a wall and got 5 stitches right in the middle of his forehead. After it was all over and we were home, i showed him a mirror and he got uspet that there was a spider on his foredhead. Katelee looks so sad all bandaged up like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad... She is a trooper. Averee screams like she is dying if she gets a sliver.. And I hate that you are moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She must be like a kitty...who has 9 lives. But, instead of lives, she now has 3 injuries down. Only 6 more to go? Oh! I hope not! :)

    ReplyDelete