Saturday, May 2, 2009

Meal of the Month - April

What?  Did you say it's not April anymore?  It's already May SECOND?  When did that happen?

Sorry.

Anyhow, here is April's meal of the month!  Because our house is on the market, we are attempting to keep it spotlessly clean at all times.  This means a huge change in my cooking habits.  I love to cook up big messy meals.  But I refuse to do it while my house is for sell.  So, this meal is a crock-pot meal; nice and easy for clean up.  This is one of our very favorites; if you've never tried this the ingredients may sound strange to you, but make it once and your whole family will be converted!  I hope you enjoy! 

Main Dish: Amazing Apricot Chicken

4 chicken breasts
8 oz. bottle of Russian salad dressing. Rinse out bottle with 2- 3 T. water and pour in, also.
1/2 c. apricot jam
1 package Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix
Cooked rice

Mix the salad dressing, jam, and soup mix and pour over chicken in a crock-pot. Cook on low for 3 – 4 hours, or until done. Stir occasionally. Serve over hot rice.

Side dish:  Broccoli Salad - This is a classic.  We made it for Easter dinner this month, and I was reminded of how much I love this salad!  It would taste great with Apricot chicken.

2 bunches fresh broccoli, cut in small flowerets
1 medium purple onion, finely chopped
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 c. sunflower seeds or raisins (I like BOTH)
1 c. mayonnaise
2 T. red or white wine vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt

In a large bowl combine broccoli, onion, and cheese. Refrigerate. Just before serving, stir in bacon. Add sunflower seeds or raisins if you wish. Mix mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and salt together in a bowl. Chill at least one hour before tossing with salad. Pour desired amount of dressing over salad and toss well. Serve the same day.

Dessert: Lemon Crack Cookies

This recipe is so easy that the cookies are surprisingly delicious.  I like to make these for my spring piano recital because of how easy they are, and because to me they taste like spring!

1 lemon cake mix
2 c. Cool Whip
1 egg
1/2 c. powdered sugar

Stir cake mix, Cool Whip, and egg together until mixed well. Coat balls of cookie dough with powdered sugar. Bake 10 – 12 minutes until light brown at 350 degrees.

1 comment:

  1. YUM. I like your meal idea. I will definately be trying those recipes.

    ReplyDelete